THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Friday, November 18, 2011

Chicken Alfredo in Crepes (GF)


CHICKEN ALFREDO IN CREPES
Deliciously good and satiating savory crepes.  Serve with cherry tomatoes or a leafy salad, if desired.

1 roast chicken
Alfredo Sauce:
8 oz regular cream cheese (250 g)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (125 mL)
1/2 cup Hood® Calorie Countdown (125 mL)
  Milk, OR Carolyn’s Low-Carb Milk, 
  page___
1/2 cup butter (125 mL)
Crepes:
2 cups Hood® Calorie Countdown (500 mL)
  milk, OR Carolyn’s low-carb milk, page___
12 large eggs
2 cups gluten-free oat flour (500 mL)

3/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder, optional (175 mL)
1/2 cup butter, melted (125 mL)
4 SPLENDA® packets
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (2 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)

Cut up roast chicken and cut the chicken meat into small pieces. 

Alfredo Sauce:  In large frying pan, combine cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, milk of choice and butter.  Allow cream cheese, cheese and butter to melt over medium heat and stir to blend well.  Add chicken.  Set aside. {about 4 cups (1L)}

Crepes:  In food processor or blender, combine Hood® Calorie Countdown milk, OR Carolyn’s low-carb milk, page___, eggs, oat flour, vanilla whey protein (if using), butter, SPLENDA® and xanthan gum.  Blend well, stopping to scrape sides of food processor or blender a couple of times.

Into cereal bowl, pour olive oil. Using a pastry brush, brush a tiny amount of oil to cover a 6-inch (15 cm) nonstick pan.  Pour 3 tbsp (45 mL) crepe batter in pan (tilt to cover) and cook over medium low heat until edges turn brown and bubbles form.  Flip crepe and cook the other side briefly.  Transfer to a dish with a lid to keep the crepes warm.

Fill each crepe with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of Chicken Alfredo (warm briefly again in the frying pan).  Fold edges over to middle.

Variation: Canapés:  Excellent, tasty appetizer. Serve cold.  Fill Crepes, fold over and refrigerate.  Before serving, slice into bite-size pieces.  

Yield:  32 crepes, filled
1 crepe
173.0 calories
7.7 g protein
13.8 g fat
4.2 g carbs

16 comments:

Pegasuslegend said...

You leave the sweetest comments and I thank you for that! I love all your foods as half of what I cook I make for the three men in my life... not a meat lover, but low carbs are for me! This crepe would be one my hubby will love, I usually have sweet ones not savory, but this may change my mind for sure love this filling.... nicely presented as well thanks again for stopping by~!

Jennifer said...

I used to cook for the three men in my life, but the boys have flown the nest since early this year. I actually kept up cooking for them right up until about now...and I've finally handed over the reigns to Jonathan, who is quite a good cook.

This crepe tastes like the real thing. It's lower in carbs though. I have to watch it as they are so good that they can be a red light food for me. ;)

Ann said...

Hi Jen! These look delicious and like Claudia, I had only sweet crepes. Then one day I went out with my daughter in law in California and had the most AMAZING savor crepe....now that's my favorite way to have them!

Have great weekend and thanks for a terrific recipe!

Tina said...

This is a very creative dish. I have always associated crepes as a sweet dish and the idea of using them in a savory manner does intrigue. The chicken alfredo filling sounds heavenly. Great presentation on this dish also. Have a wonderful day.

Jennifer said...

Ann - you have a daughter-in-law? Good grief - you look far too young for that. I would never ever have guessed!

I agree savory crepes are really delicious.

Jennifer said...

Tina, when I lived in South Africa - well, I grew up there - we used to visit Peter's Pancake House. It was crepes mostly and one could get all kinds of sweet or savory crepes. I liked the savory ones the most.

JenniferS said...

How many crepes is one serving?

Jennifer said...

1 crepe - I fixed that. Thank you!

Christine's Pantry said...

Great idea... love it. Thanks for another great recipe.

Jennifer said...

You're welcome, Christine.

Carolyn said...

Mmmm, love the idea of savoury crepes for dinner!

CarolynF said...

Great idea for leftover turkey, too..

Crepes were really "in" in the 70's..Love the comeback.

:) Carolyn F.

Jennifer said...

Yes, CarolynF - you and go back that far. lol Good memories! ;)

Jennifer said...

Sorry, yes, why didn't I think of that, CarolynF - leftover turkey would work real well in this recipe.

Eftychia said...

Oh, Jennifer, you are the only one who can create delicious light recipes. I am so happy I found this blog of yours. Keep up the good work!! And, thank you!

Jennifer said...

Hey, you are so sweet! You're welcome.