LOW-CARB CREPES




LOW-CARB CREPES
This crepe recipe does not taste too different to my favorite crepe recipe (I leave the whey protein out these days) but it is almost half the carbs so that might appeal to more people.  The cream cheese gives the crepes more body.  I don't mind almond flour in pancakes but I really do not like it in crepes.  I like my crepes to taste more like regular flour crepes.  I'm really picky about crepes.  This recipe is still great in my opinion - not much taste is sacrificed at all.  I still prefer crepes with sweet fillings - usually a sweet cream cheese spread and strawberry sauce or I use peaches and custard.   However, I made a simple chicken and onion savory filling for these crepes and we had them for lunch yesterday with a simple salad and my Cracked Pepper Salad Dressing, which is a favorite.  I will share it as soon as I have the recipe typed up.  It was a light lunch.  My hubby and I are in the uncomfortable position where we need to lose a bit of weight again.  We had company for a month, did some traveling, did some falling off the wagon, but mostly ate too much and now it's time to be more austere again.  The story of our lives!  It is better to stay on top of our weight situation though than to just let it go for too long.  I cannot stand it and have to reign myself in.  Fortunately, Ian and I love each other no matter what size we are, but we want to be healthy, even if not fashionably skinny!  Both Ian and I tend to be a bit sedentary and at this stage of our lives it's not likely to change a whole lot, other than to put in a bit more walking time.  So, we have to lose weight through diet primarily and low-carbing combined with Intermittent Fasting is what works for us.

An easy strawberry sauce made in two-two's:  Take some frozen strawberries, place in bowl and microwave until soft.  Mash the strawberries and stir in sweetener to taste.  Add a little lemon juice, if desired, as a flavor enhancer.

Quick amendment:  I forgot to add the sweetener.  Use your own favorite zero carb sweetener.


3 oz regular cream cheese (90 g)
4 eggs
3 tbsp gluten-free oat flour (45 mL)
Liquid sweetener to equal 4 tsp sugar (20 mL)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)

In food processor, process cream cheese.  Add eggs; process.  Add oat flour, liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA Granular and vanilla extract and process until smooth, scraping down the sides at least once and processing again.

Use 3 tbsp (45 mL) batter for each crepe and a small, nonstick 6-inch (15 cm) crepe pan (inside diameter). Tilt pan to coat with batter.  Cook over medium heat.  Flip crepe when it is easy to slide a spatula underneath it.  Cook a few seconds on the second side.  Set aside in covered casserole dish and in the oven at a low heat of 190°F (88°C). Brush pan with a little olive oil between every few crepes.  Without the oil, the crepes will have a smoother appearance.

Yield:  9 crepes
1 crepe
72.9 calories
4.0 g protein
5.4 g fat
1.8 g net carbs