THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Friday, September 30, 2011

Almond Flour - Serious Envy!




Cake recipe made with almond flour in the top photo and almond meal in the bottom photo.  Compare the cakes - here is the one made with almond meal and the recipe for this cake.

On a recent trip to the States my sweet hubby, Ian, brought home some almond flour from Honeyville Grains Company.  I was thrilled to receive it, even although some of it spilled in the suitcase as government officials slashed a hole in the packet to check that it was really almond flour. 

Many of you know I use almond meal (ground sliced almonds with a tiny bit of skin on the edges) in my bake mix.  I was slightly concerned that there might be appreciable differences for folks using the convenience of commercially available almond flour, which is usually partially defatted.

I promised I would try almond flour in my Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix as well as coconut flour from Bob's Red Mill (I used Aloha Nu from Netrition.com which may have been discontinued).

Turns out baking with almond flour is a pleasure; love the convenience factor obviously!  The almond flour from Honeyville Grains is apparently the very best and they have a very good price; bought mine in a 5 lb bag.  Another 5 lb bag waits for me in Montana.  

The only difference I noticed is that the baking has a finer crumb and looks lighter in color.  Bob's Red Mill coconut flour performs much the same as the coconut flour I used.  This is all good news!  I think for cakes almond flour is superior but my cake with almond meal was still very good indeed.

I am envious of people being able to easily come by almond flour.  I used to have that luxury in Vernon, British Columbia in Canada.  We had not one but two incredible health food stores in the same little town when I was developing my 5 low-carb cookbooks.  I was so blessed.  Now I have access to a tiny health food store that has a cheek to go by that name.  Waah!  


11 comments:

Ruth said...

Both versions of the cake look delicious! A slice of each for me, please! ;-)

Jennifer said...

lol ;)

Ann said...

I agree with Ruth - they both look delicious and I'm sorry you can't get almond flour easily....

Carolyn said...

Honeyville is my favourite and I order it by two or three bags at a time. It really does make for a finer crumb, although I am sure the flavour is good either way!

Jennifer said...

I know, Ann - it's sad!

Carolyn, I envy your ability to do that. If I had the energy and was allowed to open a shop in this country, it would be a decent health food store!

Christine's Pantry said...

Both versions of the cake look wonderful. Yum! I'd like a slice, please. :-)

Jennifer said...

Of course you may have a slice, Christine. Some tea or coffee with your cake? :)

RVcook said...

I confess..I have become an almond flour convert. I have been comparing the results of items made with both and find that the commercially produced almond flour produces the nicest, most consistent end product. But, I like that my little coffee mill can whip up a batch of ground almonds in the event of a baking "emergency!"...lol.

Jennifer said...

Ah, you have become an almond flour snob, Donna. Waah, now I'm even more envious! I also wish I had things that way around rather. I'm greeeeeeeeeen.... :(

Juliana said...

I never used almond flour in my baking...like you I had experience with almond meal...both of your cakes look delicious...I would love to have a slice now :-)
Hope you have a great week ahead and thanks for both versions Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

Hope you have a great week ahead too. Thank you, Juliana. :)