THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Almond Vanilla Layer Cake with Caramel Frosting (GF)

With Almond Meal
With Almond Flour

ALMOND VANILLA LAYER CAKE
Tasty cake with recommended technique for cakes with my bake mix, plus the baking soda and buttermilk. Using the Gluten-Free Bake Mix, cakes will be denser, but this method really helps to get a better rise and a lighter cake.  For an even lighter, fluffier cake slice, microwave briefly. Each slice has a quarter cherry which is 0.5 g carbs.  Give it to somebody who likes cherries, if you prefer.  Click on the photo to view a bigger image.  This recipe is in Volume One of Low-Carbing Among Friends, page 84.  Read the comments below of people who have tried this cake. 

21/4 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1 (300 mL)
1 tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1/4 cup butter, melted (50 mL)
Liquid sweetener to equal 3/4 cup sugar (175 mL)
1/2 cup granulated erythritol (125 mL)
1 cup buttermilk* (250 mL)
1 tbsp vanilla extract (15 mL)
4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (2 mL)
Caramel Frosting, page___  (See below)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  Grease the bottoms only of 2, 8-inch nonstick cake pans really well and dust with a small sprinkling of bake mix.  Set aside.  In large bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In food processor, process butter and egg yolks.  Add Liquid Sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular and erythritol.  Add buttermilk and vanilla extract; process well. 

In food processor with whipping assembly or in small, chilled bowl using electric mixer, process egg whites until frothy.  Add cream of tartar and continue whipping until egg whites are stiff.

Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture, processing well until thickened, scraping sides occasionally.  Place in a large bowl with a small scoop of egg whites.  Fold the scoop of egg whites in with a spatula to loosen up the batter.  Add half of the remaining egg whites and fold in more gently bringing the batter from underneath up and over the egg whites.  Repeat with remaining egg whites until batter is streaked.  Be careful not to overwork the egg whites as you don’t want to break them down too much.  Pour into cake pans, smoothing tops gently and evenly.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until turning brown on top, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Loosen sides with knife and using spatula loosen underneath cake, support with hand; invert on cake rack.

Helpful Hints:  *If desired use Hood Calorie Countdown milk or Carolyn’s low-carb milk.  To make homemade buttermilk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice in measuring cup and then fill with milk; set aside 5 minutes.  

CARAMEL FROSTING
My husband said this frosting tastes like caramel!

Liquid sweetener to equal 1 cup sugar (500 mL)
6 tbsp powdered erythritol (90 mL)
1/3 cup cream and water mixture, OR (75 mL)
  Half-and-half
6 tbsp vanilla whey protein (90 mL)
1/4 cup whole, OR skim milk powder (50 mL)
2 tbsp chocolate whey protein (25 mL)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted (25 mL)
1 egg yolk

In blender, combine liquid sweetener, powdered erythritol, cream and water mixture (or half-and-half), vanilla whey protein, whole or skim milk powder, chocolate whey protein and butter.  Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape sides frequently.  Add egg yolk and blend again.  If the frosting is too thick, add water one tablespoon at a time.  If the frosting is too liquidy, add more vanilla whey protein, one tablespoon at a time.

Helpful Hint:  This frosting is enough to frost a double layered cake completely or a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) cake.


Yield:   12 serv. with frost.

1 serving

214.0 calories

9.0 g protein

16.4 g fat

6.3 g net carbs

For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!

14 comments:

Ginny said...

Looks absolutely wonderful Jen!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Ginny. ((HUGS)) Hope you are well and happy. Think about you sometimes and check your blog for new posts too. :)

Jessica said...

Hi Jennifer!

I just wanted to tell you that we made this recipe into a bunny cake for Easter. It got RAVE reviews from everyone. It came out so moist. One person said it was the BEST homemade cake she's had in a while. And they did not know it was low carb (and gluten free)! I also made it with the oat flour as you suggested to see if my dd could now tolerate it (she has celiac). So without telling her - she ate it. No stomach distress! So all around we have a winner! Thanks again so much for all your wonderful recipes!!!!! It is so nice to be able to make something my whole family can eat!

~Jessica

Jennifer said...

Jessica! ((HUGS)) Thank you so much for being so sweet to come back and tell me this lovely story. A bunny cake! You are so clever. That is so cool that someone said that about your cake. I am thrilled! I don't get a huge amount of feedback and so your feedback is precious to me. Thank you!

I am so grateful as well that your daughter can tolerate the certified gluten free oat flour. Remember oat flour at the best of times can give even people who are not Celiacs a bit of gas. Think about what happens to horses who eat oats. (wink) I tolerate oat flour fine now, but in the beginning it was a problem for me, so just want you to know that as well. Donna mentioned also that we can try quinoa flour, but she thinks it is not as nice as the oat flour. I bought some to try it out but it is sooo expensive!

Jennifer said...

Oh, Jessica, if you see this, please let me know what sweeteners you used. I'd be curious. Thanks.

Jessica said...

I used splenda and truvia (as I had run out out plain erythritol). I did use less of it than called for. Oh and I also made your "Betty Crocker" frosting to go on the cake. I substituted coconut oil for the butter and that was so good. Also used splenda / truvia in that with the sugar free maple syrup. You could not tell it was sugar free! I had a hard time stopping tasting it
!
I found some gluten free whole oats at my super market, Bob's Red Mill brand. I ground them up in my food processor to try and make the flour. It was coarser than it probably should have been, but after the cake sat for a day the bits of oat were not noticeable.

I also made your cinnamon chocolate chip muffins using the same bake mix / sweetener blend. So good! My husband has not had trouble with his blood sugar after eating them (he has type 1 diabetes).

Thanks again Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

Wow,I'm happy the cake worked with ground-up oats. I know I have also tried that and it was a bit coarser for sure, but you're right the moisture in the cake will take care of that given enough time. Interesting about the sweeteners you used. So many folks can tolerate the Truvia and Steviva Blend (similar), but it gives me diarrhea if I eat a lot of it. Weird, hey? I don't have that problem with Stevia on its own or erythritol on its own. I'm really sorry about that as I got some Steviva Blend from the company and I thought it worked really well in baking. Really helped produce a more moist product too.

I did make the Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins with the Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix. I think the only difference was that I added another egg. I will post that recipe since it sounds like you enjoy it. It really is a nice muffin - very nicely flavored, and, of course, the cinnamon probably helps with blood sugar for your hubby. Glad to hear he can eat the baking without adverse effects. That's good news. Wow, lots of challenges in you family diet-wise. You seem like the perfect mom and wife taking care of everyone's needs. I had some in the freezer and the last two days I had a couple of them. Yep, 2 per day. I don't seem to do things like that in small measures. ;)

Thanks again! (((HUGS)))

Jessica said...

Ah ha....that could explain why my stomach cramped up after eating both the muffins, the frosting and the cake. I bet you're right and it's the Truvia. Guess I am glad that its almost gone. Time to order more erythritol! I wonder why that blend would cause stomach distress? I have used them (erythritol and stevia) both together before - as ZSweet and just the two I mixed, and have not had trouble.

Do you know why the blend would add moisture to the baked goods more so than just the two on their own?

Do you think I could use this bake mix in your pumpkin muffin recipe? We have a few pumpkin lovers in our house :0)

Thanks for your sweet words! I am no where near perfect, but it is much easier to make foods we can all eat when there are people like you willing to try all the variations and share the recipes with us!

Jessica

Jennifer said...

I have heard good things about ZSweet. :) Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food - I think she uses it.

Yep, here is a link about people suffering from consuming Truvia:
http://side-effects.owndoc.com/truvia-side-effects.html I suspect it is similar with the Steviva Blend. What on earth are they doing to it that those two innocuous substances on their own, together and blended are so problematic for our tummies? :(

I have no idea. Just noticed that the baking is moist, but frankly this gluten-free bake mix is pretty good at producing moist outcomes anyway.

I actually did post the pumpkin muffin recipe with this bake mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2011/04/pumpkin-chip-muffins-with-variations-gf.html It changed a bit compared to the one made with the gluten bake mix. It tasted a bit different too, but was lovely!

Kathleen said...

I love your site. I'm planning to try this cake but I have not yet found the liquid sucralose. Also, I have a question--when you say liquid sucralose to equal 1 cup, etc, does that mean to equal 1 cup of sugar sweetness? If so, I guess that is on the label of the bottle?

Jennifer said...

Thanks for your kind words, Kathleen. Liquid sucralose is available at Netrition.com If you put in the search box at the top of my blog for Netrition, it should come up. Yes, 1 cup sugar or Splenda Granular sweetness level. I personally don't use liquid sucralose. I simply use Nevella (Splenda Granular with probiotics) as I'm not quite as concerned about a couple more carbs per serving. Many of my friends use liquid sucralose instead to further cut carbs and because Splenda Granular offers no volume in baking, I'm confident it will be a good substitute.

Jennifer said...

It is called EZ Sweetz (liquid sucralose)

Kathleen said...

I made the cake yesterday. I used the granular Splenda rather than liquid. It was a very good cake. I brought some of it to work and my coworkers asked for the recipe. I will be making it again. Thanks for the recipe.

Jennifer said...

Kathleen thanks so much for coming back to tell me that. I'm so glad you enjoyed and what a compliment your coworkers gave you. I bet they were surprised to find out it was low-carb, sugar free and, oh wait, also gluten-free. (smile)