THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, November 5, 2009

*PUMPKIN CHEESE PIE* (GF)


PUMPKIN CHEESE PIE
Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving for some folks without Pumpkin Pie. See below more substantial crust ideas. Powdered erythritol may be used in combination with Splenda Granular, if desired – tastier!

Crust:
1/2 cup ground pecans (125 mL)
2 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (25 mL)
1 tbsp oat, OR spelt flour (15 mL)
2 tbsp butter, melted (25 mL)
1 egg yolk
Cream Cheese Layer:
8 oz light cream cheese, softened (250 g)
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
Pumpkin Layer:
1 cup canned pumpkin (250 mL)
2 eggs
3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular (175 mL)
1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
1/2 tsp ginger (2 mL)
1/4 tsp nutmeg, (optional) (1 mL)
1/2 cup half-and-half cream (125 mL)
1/2 cup whipping cream (125 mL)

Crust: In medium bowl, combine pecans, SPLENDA® Granular and oat or spelt flour. Stir in butter and egg yolk. Spread in 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and press crust out evenly; remove plastic wrap. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes.

Cream Cheese Layer: In food processor with sharp blade, blender or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese, SPLENDA® Granular, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over crust evenly.

Pumpkin Layer: In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, SPLENDA® Granular, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Beat well with wire whisk. Whisk in half-and-half cream and whipping cream. Pour over Cream Cheese Layer. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Garnish with whipped cream and additional pecan halves, if desired.

Yield: 10 servings, 1 serving:183.5 calories; 5.4 g protein; 14,9 g fat; 7.0 g carbs
Graham Cracker-Like Crust:
1 cup Low-Carb Bake Mix
1 cup ground almonds
½ cup butter, melted
1 Splenda packets

Or, simply start with 1 ½ cups ground almonds, ¼ cup vanilla whey protein and 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten or oat flour, Splenda to taste and enough butter to moisten.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the pie! I followed the recipe closely but used almonds for the crust and left out the flour and whipping cream.
It was delicious and will make it again! Thanks.

Jennifer said...

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing that. :)

Michelle K said...

Hi Jennifer,

I made this pie last week for the first time to give it test run for Thanksgiving. I didn't have pecans, used almonds instead. I will be making it with pecans though..hehe. However, IT WAS DEVINE! I am making dinner and trying to find recipes that I can enjoy since I am LC/GF WOE. This site has been a blessing to me with so many wonderful recipes! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

Jennifer said...

I also liked this recipe. Hey, I think an almond crust is pretty good with this actually - maybe even better, I don't know. You're welcome. Hope you will buy our new cookbook. Two more planned next year and 7 in total.

Jan said...

Oh this recipe is definetely a keeper, Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same anymore without Pumpkin Cheesecake!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Jan. :) I agree.

Julie said...

Jennifer,

This pie is fantastic! People would never guess this is low carb. It's definitely the best low-carb dessert I've had since starting this WOE in August. I made the pie tonight with the pecan crust and I want to make it again with the almond meal crust to see which one I like better. I also made it with a mixture of Splenda and erythritol and it was perfectly sweet with no bitter aftertaste. I'll definitely be making this pie for Christmas this year! Thank you so much!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Julie. I think I will also make this pie as one of my Christmas desserts. It's an old recipe from Splendid Low-Carbing, I believe. I'm sure the pie was better with the combo of Splenda plus erythritol. I love the synergy of those sweeteners these days.

Anonymous said...

My question is, has anybody brothered to Test Livalac Whey Low Sugar? It would be interesting to see if it is all hype. True, just logic would say it's not going to work, but now it's 2011 and I have seen posting by Diabetics, who claim they have tested their blood sugar after using Whey Low Granular D and have not had bad spikes or huge lows. I've also read other reviews that claim it did not stop their ketosis with the Whey Low Grandular D, which is made specifically for Diabetics. Anyway, It would be neat to see more others testing this sugar out, instead of just saying that it logically looks bad. Just Sayin