THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, August 21, 2008

*SPLENDID LOW-CARB BAKE MIX*

LOW-CARB BAKE MIX
This tasty bake mix guarantees a low-carb result in your baking.  Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 85%  or more.

12/3 cups ground almonds (400 mL)
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein* (150 mL)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (150 mL) 

In large bowl, combine ground almonds, vanilla whey protein and vital wheat gluten.  Use a large wooden spoon to stir and mix well.  See Helpful Hints below for instructions on how to use this bake mix.  Store in a closed container at room temperature.  Shake container to ensure ingredients are combined well.

Yield:  31/3 cups (825 mL)
1/3 cup (75 mL) per serving
162.9 calories
14.3 g protein
10.3 g fat
3.3 g carbs

Helpful Hints:  For some strange reason, the total yield for this bake mix is 1/3 cup (75 mL) more than the 3 cups (750 mL) one would expect.  One ingredient tends to fluff up when they’re mixed together is my best guess.  If one chooses to see the yield as 3 cups (750 mL), the carbs increase slightly to 3.7 g.

To use this bake mix:  Typically, for every cup of flour in your recipe, replace with l cup (250 mL) of Low-Carb Bake Mix, plus 2 tbsp (25 mL).  The aforementioned rules apply also to replacing any of the Ultimate Bake Mixes from my previous cookbooks (which are a cup-for-cup substitution for all-purpose flour) as well as Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes, page 20 with this bake mix. 

Once again, always add liquid cautiously to your own recipes that you wish to de-carb.  Sometimes as much as 1/2 cup (125 mL) less wet ingredients (this includes ingredients such as butter, olive oil, applesauce, pumpkin, water, yogurt, sour cream, cream, etc.) will be required. Typically, it is 1/4 cup (50 mL) wet ingredients that will need to be omitted from your regular recipe. 

This bake mix produces wonderful, moist baked goods most of the time, despite the whey content.  Useful for piecrusts, muffins, loaves, many cakes, cookies and squares and is guaranteed to lower carbs significantly in your favorite recipes!


*If the application for this bake mix is for a savory baked product, it is possible to replace vanilla whey protein powder with natural whey protein powder.

Let's see, some people feel the whey proteins are too expensive. They are expensive, but last a long time, especially if one does not bake very frequently. They also keep really well for ages at room temperature.

Instead of the vanilla whey protein, unsweetened plain whey protein can be substituted, especially for savory applications. Instead of the whey, you could use ground walnuts, Carbalose flour (look for Carbquik...it is a component of Carbquik and my bake mixes actually work really well mixed half and half with Carbalose flour), oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour (these last three have more or less the same number of carbohydrate grams) or any flour you desire.  I haven't tested any of these options, so you're on your own with experimenting.  Choose an easy muffin recipe to experiment with.

Some people balk at the idea of ground almonds, thinking perhaps that is the most expensive part of the bake mix. 2/3 cups of the ground almonds could be replaced by any of the above suggestions. Let me know if you think of something else. Ground almonds can be replaced by any ground nuts of your choice.  If you happen to be allergic to nuts, I have a nut-free bake mix that is a cup-for-cup substitution for white flour. Naturally, there is also flexibility with this particular recipe.

There you have some flexibility with this bake mix. Have fun!

You will notice I did not touch the vital wheat gluten component of this bake mix. If you are intolerant to gluten, please see my Gluten-free Bake Mix in this blog). I had a gluten-free low-carb (not terribly low-carb unfortunately with this other gluten-free bake mix) chocolate muffin this morning for breakfast with my cup of tea. It was delicious and I don't put on water weight with it, as long as I keep it to one muffin and not every day. I keep them in the freezer and defrost one overnight or in the morning in the microwave oven for about 40 seconds.


Happy Low-Carbing!

18 comments:

Adriana said...

No baking powder?

Jennifer said...

Hi Adriana - this is a bake mix to be used purely in place of flour in your own recipes. Your recipe will be say, a muffin recipe, and the recipe will tell you how much baking powder to use.

Adriana said...

Thank you for the clarification. This is my first time on your web site and the recipes look amazing!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Adriana. Welcome! :-)

Adriana 2.0 said...

Hello Jennifer, this is another Adriana (from Germany) :-) I have a question, which almonds do you use for this mix? blanched or whole? I really prefer the blanched ones (less carbs, better flavor) but I don't know if the almond-type will affect the baking process/results. I have your books and always use your mixes (low-carb/whey, vital ultimate...) for my cakes & breads, until now only with blanched almonds. They work perfect: I thank you! Actually I'm trying to decarb a zucchini bread and I'm wondering if this time it would be better to use whole almonds instead of blanched, in order to become a darker batter and a nuttily flavor (??) What do you think? Many thanks in advance! Regards from Germany, Adriana

Jennifer said...

Blanched almonds are usually best. Ironically, I used almond flour already ground and commercially available for my books - and I think I said use ground almonds. Anyway for your zucchini bread, adding spices sometimes helps darken it or a little molasses, and of course, using whole almonds will help darken it. You may need a little more sweetener but other than that, it should be fine.

These days I used sliced almonds (bit of the dark part still on them) that I grind in the food processor. It is not so great as it is a coarse grind. I was spoiled with the almond flour.

Adriana said...

Thank you so much for your quick response! here in Germany I also get both almond flours (blanched and/or whole, with the dark part) already ground from supermarket. I don't get it fine enough at home with the food processor, definitely I prefer to use the commercially available. Regarding my zucchini bread, thanks for the great idea, I think I'll use a tsp blackstrap molasses. Thank you ainag!! Best Regards, Adriana :-)

Jennifer said...

You're blessed to get those products in Germany.

Ivonne said...

Is vital wheat gluten the same as Gluten FLour?

I bought some and am hoping it is because I'm running out of room for all these flours! lol

Thanks :)
Ivonne

Jennifer said...

Oh Ivonne, I wish you had asked me before buying it. I don't think gluten flour is the same. Vital wheat gluten is 75% protein and gluten flour is much higher in carbs. You can Google it to be certain. Keep it for adding to bread machine breads in small amounts or adding a little to ground almonds and grated Parmesan cheese when breading something - this way you cut the carbs drastically and you still get to use it from time to time and not waste your money.

Teresa said...

How do you know for sure if your whey protien is the right kind. The one I bought is the EAS brand. It does say succrose in the ingredient list but there is still 1g sugar listed in the ingredients.

Jennifer said...

That one is probably okay - very little sucrose. You need isolates in the whey (not only concentrates) and it needs to be a cold filtration process. I use one from Netrition called Pro Blend 55 Alpine Vanilla. I forget if it was a cold filtration product. Apparently Jay Robb is one of the best you can buy and Netrition carries it as well. HTH

Teresa said...

It does, thank you. Since the one I have right now will do, I will use it for the first time around. Next time I need some I know what to order. Thank you for your quick response. I need to get my mix all made up so I can make those crackers today.

Jennifer said...

Ah, you must mean Linda's crackers. They look amazing! I want to try them with the gluten-free bake mix soon. :)

Anonymous said...

So what is vital wheat gluten? Is it wheat, which is not allowed on the Atkins diet? Or am I totally lost on this one?

donna

Jennifer said...

Vital wheat gluten is made from wheat, but it is 70% protein (so mostly protein). Many low-carbers who are not intolerant of gluten find it to be a useful ingredient in baking recipes since it is not very carby.

JPow said...

Gluten flour is the same as vital wheat gluten. I think it just depends on where you live.

Below are links for the nutritional info for Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten, and also for Gluten Flour that I purchase at the bulk barn in Canada. I've used them both in recipes and they behave the same.

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/products.html?product=514

http://www.bobsredmill.com/vital-wheat-gluten.html

Bob's Red Mill:
Gluten, Vital Wheat is the natural protein found in wheat. It contains 75% protein. A small amount added to yeast bread recipes improves the texture and elasticity of the dough. This is often used by commercial bakeries to produce light textured breads, and can easily put the home bread baker on a par with the professionals. Vital Wheat Gluten can also be used to make a meat substitute known as seitan.

Bulk Barn's Gluten Flour:
Gluten flour is a natural high protein, free-flowing powder extracted from premium quality Canadian wheat flour. It contains over 70% protein. It can be added to low gluten flour to enhance the bread volume. It is non gmo and increases the baked goods elasticity without toughening the eating quality.

Jennifer said...

Thanks JPow for going to the trouble to help others here. I remember the Bulk Barn. I miss it!