THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

*VITAL ULTIMATE BAKE MIXES*

This is one of my favorite bake mixes:

VITAL ULTIMATE BAKE MIX
Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 60 %, if SPLENDA® is used as well.


My latest Discovery: By substituting half of any of my bake mixes (and especially the Vital Ultimate Bake Mixes) with Carbalose flour from www.netrition.com one gets superior results than simply using my bake mix. In fact, the results are so similar to baking with white flour that it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference. Experiment and let me know how it turns out for you. Any feedback would be helpful to others too. I will continue to explore this avenue as time goes by. The thing is many people were put off by Carbalose flour or Carbquik, in particular, because of a strange taste or smell that some people could detect too strongly. However, that problem is solved when doing the former bake mix combo. I have not worked with Carbquik and most likely will not in the future either, however, I love Carbalose flour used in this manner. The carb count in the recipes will not change. There is no carb savings.


NOTE: One cup of white flour is about 91.5 g carbs and 1 cup of Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (the highest carb option with spelt flour, say) is 33.6 g carb, for a savings of 57.9 g carbs. Now that is the worst case scenario. Most people would use oat or whole wheat pastry flour options and then the numbers look like this: 24.4 g carbs vs 91.5 g carbs per cup for a savings of 67.1 g carbs. Actually, in the grand scheme of things not huge differences - surprisingly! For those of you who cannot have any grains at this point in time, choose to use my really low-carb bake mix called Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix
1 1/2 cups almond flour, ground almonds, OR (375 mL)
ground hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
1 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, (250 mL)
whole wheat pastry flour, OR
oat flour* (last two have fewer carbs)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)

In medium bowl, combine ground almonds (hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts), spelt flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or oat flour) and vital wheat gluten; stir well. Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. With all bake mixes, add liquid in your own recipes very cautiously, withholding about 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) and adding it as necessary. Usually recipes require the former amount.

Nutritional Analysis: Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)
1/4 cup (50 mL)/serv. (spelt)
139.5 calories; 8.2 g protein, 8.0 g fat; 8.4 g carbs

Variations: *Vital Whole Wheat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with whole wheat pastry flour):
131.4 calories, 7.8 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 6.9 g carbs.

*Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with oat flour): 136.5 calories, 8.1 g protein, 8.3 g fat, 6.1 g carbs.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (with all-purpose flour): I very rarely use this combination, but will choose to make the bake mix with spelt flour instead as in main recipe with nutritional analysis shown. It is useful for a very special occasion, delicate-textured cake or loaf or muffins, etc.
144.1 calories, 7.9 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 9.7 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The ground almonds, all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten combination in Vital Ultimate Bake Mix is very similar to regular baking and often better, producing lovely, moist, delicate-textured baked goods and is particularly useful for cakes that require a tender crumb texture. Spelt flour (a complex carbohydrate flour, not biologically related to wheat flour, but with about the same carbohydrate content) will be almost as good in such instances.

If you are using ground almonds instead of almond flour, please add an extra 1/2 cup (125 mL). This will give the correct yield, however, if you forget, it will not harm the recipe results. Even although I mentioned ground almonds in my recipe books, I actually used almond flour at the time. These days I cannot get almond flour where I live and because I use so much of it, I have to grind my own from sliced almonds that I buy. It is coarsely ground compared to almond flour. Almond flour, of course, is more superior in baking. Store.honeyvillegrain.com on the internet sells practically the best almond flour anywhere.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix may replace Low-Carb Bake Mix, page 64 in recipes. Just use 2 tbsp (25 mL) less Vital Ultimate Bake Mix per cup of Low-Carb Bake Mix. It may also replace cup-for-cup any of the other Ultimate Bake Mixes in my other cookbooks. However, do not substitute the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix for the Vital Ultimate Bake Mix - for one, you'd need to use more of it (maybe 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup) and for two, I cannot guarantee the result.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I realize the bake mix is low carb, but spelt is high on the glycemic index and I always have blood sugar reaction (I am hypoglycemic so I stay away from all sugar and flour things) if I consume anything with spelt in it. So I'm surprised to see spelt listed there as a favorite.

Jennifer said...

Spelt was something I used ages ago (different to wheat), but I don't use it these days. You are right it as high carb as wheat flour, however, it's just there as an option for folks who are moderately low-carbing - the bake mix with spelt will still be very much lower in carbs than flour. The glycemic index is one thing, but the glycemic load is what one should really concern oneself with. Carrots are high on the glycemic index, however, their glycemic load is low. So,in my opinion, we wrongly skip carrots altogether.

It sounds like you would do better with the other options or perhaps my super low-carb bake mix - Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix - no flour in really, except for the vital wheat gluten and it is 70% protein.

Julie said...

Jennifer,

I am loving this bake mix! I made mine with oat flour and it has worked great in the things I have tried so far. Today I made pumpkin bars using my mom's family recipe, only I replaced the sugar with Splenda/Stevia and replaced the flour cup for cup with your bake mix. Delightful! Thank you so much! My mom's chocolate mint bars will be next.... :-)

Jennifer said...

That's great news, Julie. I used to love this bake mix but now have gone gluten-free. I do miss being able to use it.

Michele said...

Hi Jennifer,

I posted about how much I like your pizza recipe at the forum and was thinking I'd like to try other recipes with the same bake mix. Which of your cookbooks utilizes the "vital ultimate" mixes the most?

Jennifer said...

Hi Michele - Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 1 uses it the most and then there were only a couple of recipes or so in vol. 2 that used it and that was the pizza and oat tortillas. I switched to the Splendid low-carb bake mix in volume 2. You can actually use your favorite bake mix in any of my recipes using other bake mixes. You may need 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup less per recipe, but other than that. If you some baking experience, you'll figure it out pretty quick.