MOCK SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE



MOCK SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
  I really like this.  I’m not sure how closely it mimics sweet potato casserole, but my husband said this is a keeper!  You can use canned butternut squash for this recipe to make things simpler yet.  I have made this recipe several times.

2 eggs
2 tbsp melted butter (30 mL)
Liquid sweetener to equal 1 cup sugar (250 mL)
2 tbsp powdered sweetener, optional (30 mL)
1/2  tsp salt (2 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups any cooked yellow squash (500 mL)
  (not spaghetti squash though)
1 cup canned pumpkin (250 mL)
1/2  cup heavy cream (125 mL)
1/2  tsp glucomannan powder, OR xanthan gum, optional (2 mL)
Ground nutmeg sprinkle

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  In food processor, process eggs, butter, liquid sweetener, powdered sweetener, salt and vanilla extract.  Add squash, pumpkin, heavy cream and glucomannan powder, OR xanthan gum; process until smooth.  Pour into 9-inch glass pie dish. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg. Bake about 40 minutes or until set. 

Helpful Hints:  Whenever I want to reduce the sodium in a dish, I use half regular salt and half No Salt®.  The latter does not taste great on its own, but mixed with regular salt, it tastes great in most dishes and even baking.  To be honest, these days, I don't bother trying to reduce salt in my own recipes, because it turns out the old guidelines for salt intake were completely incorrect.  Having too little salt is actually detrimental to health and reduces lifespan.  Go figure!  I used to hate seeing the scale go up 2 lbs due to water retention from eating salt, but now I just accept that I have a salty weight and a weight that is 2 lbs lighter when my salt intake is a little lower.  It is just water weight after all.  No big deal.  However, I realize some people do have to watch salt intake for other reasons and this little trick I mentioned here comes in handy.

Yield:  8 servings 
1 serving
113.3 calories
2.7 g protein
9.1 g fat
4.8 g carbs