"BREAD" CRUMBS

Using ground almonds (almond meal) - I make my ground almonds in a coffee grinder.  I didn't process this batch in a food processor, so you can see it is more coarse, but it works great either way!  Almond meal doesn't look quite as attractive as the bread crumbs made with almond flour, but it's the taste that counts, and it is a heck of lot cheaper, which is why I'll be using this more often.  My Honeyville Grains almond flour is too expensive and too hard fought to bring into the country for me to squander it too much.  I keep it primarily for using in my bake mix for baking.



Using almond Flour - I briefly processed the crumbs in a food processor, but it is not necessary.



"BREAD” CRUMBS
This simple method to produce bread-like crumbs will surprise you. It tastes remarkably like bread crumbs, only better and more flavorful. These bread crumbs will work like real bread crumbs when it comes to breading veggies or meats, binding meat loaves and hamburgers or for using as a bread crumb topping with melted butter for casseroles. It makes a wonderful Graham cracker-like crust as well for pies, squares and cheesecakes.  No more soggy crusts.  The crusts made with this product remain remarkably firm.  You can pour fairly thick liquid fillings in the crust and as long as you're going to refrigerate your pie and serve it cold, the crust will still be firm and not soggy.  Find my "Graham Cracker" crust recipe here.

These "bread" crumbs are incredible for so many applications, so I keep them handy in the cupboard in a sealed Tupperware container most of the time nowadays.  I don't even wince too much that I'm using my fancy Honeyville almond flour.  It's so good made this way that I can eat it by the spoonful.  Try doing that with raw almond flour.  I don't think one could easily.

Here is an example of where I made a "Bread Crumb" topping for a casserole.  Yum!  It just made the casserole and now all of sudden this late in my life, I can say, "I like celery!" LOL  It's too funny!

Here is another idea (click)

1 cup blanched almond flour, OR homemade almond meal (cheaper!) (250 mL)
  (finely ground)
Several tbsp of water, as needed (15 mL)
  
Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).  Spread almond flour out on a dry cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with water and work in lightly with your hands.  The almond flour should be moist, but not soggy*.  Form little clumps here and there.  Bake about 25 to 40 minutes until a light golden color (keep checking!).  Allow to cool.  Then with sharp blade in place in food processor, process almond crumbs briefly to get a more uniform consistency.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one month or more. 

Helpful Hint:  *I store my Honeyville® Grains almond flour in a big plastic bag (the one it came in) in the freezer, so it tends to be a little moist already when I take it out (normally I just process it in my food processor first, before using it in my bake mix).  You may need a little more water than I used as a result, if your almond flour is quite dry already.

Yield:  4 servings
1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving
160 calories
6.0 g protein
14.0 g fat
3.0 g net carbs


For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!