CHEESE, ONION AND BACON STUFFED BURGERS



CHEDDAR CHEESE, ONION AND BACON STUFFED BURGERS 
These are definitely one of the best burgers I have ever made!  My DH loved them!  See my previous post for Improved Hamburger Buns.  This is a timeless meal, but sometimes we don't simply want the burger, we'd like a bun, just like the rest of the family not on a low-carb diet.  Now there is no need for deprivation.  Boy, I can't stand deprivation.  It just sets up rebellion in me and then I'm in trouble.  I think that having that particular psyche makes me more suited to developing recipes for people on special diets, and that has always been my focus from the very beginning.  Firstly, when we were in our thirties, my hubby became very reactive to sugar.  Even a little sugar would create a hypoglycemic reaction.  It was awful and so I started with my sugar-free desserts and later when our weight was being affected (the recipes were still hopelessly high-carb with white flour and other high-carb ingredients) in our forties, I switched to low-carb recipes, and have not looked back ever since!  Sometimes one has a destiny.  It's been very hard work, but nevertheless rewarding.  It feels great to help others and that has always, always been my goal.

1 medum onion, chopped
3 lbs lean ground beef (1.4 kg)
3 tbsp Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, OR (45 mL)
  11/2  tbsp coconut flour (22 mL)
2 eggs, fork beaten
1 tsp dried parsley (5 mL)
1 tsp black pepper (5 mL)
11/2  tsp salt (7 mL)
1/2  tsp seasoning salt (2 mL)
1/2  tsp garlic powder (2 mL)
8 slices bacon, cooked, chopped
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese (250 mL)

In nonstick frying pan, fry onion in bacon fat until soft and turning brown.  In large bowl, combine ground beef and Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, OR coconut flour. 

In small bowl, combine eggs, parsley, pepper, salt, seasoning salt and garlic powder.  Add to ground beef and mix well.  Form 10 burger shapes.

In medium bowl, combine cooled onion, bacon and Cheddar cheese.  Divide into 10 servings.  Place some of this mixture on each burger (be clean, as there may be leftover filling which you could then place on top of the burgers (to be safe, heat the mixture in a pan).  Form another burger shape for each to match and place on top.  Seal the edges.

In large nonstick frying pan, in hot bacon fat, place about 4 or 5 burgers and cook on both sides until browned and cooked throughout.  To help this process, putting a lid on the pan cooks the meat faster.  I usually have two pans going at the same time to speed the process even more for cooking all the burgers at once.

Yield:  10 burgers
1 burger
358.6 calories
29.0 g protein
25.2 g fat
2.0 g net carbs