AVOCADO FRIES




AVOCADO FRIES
Boy, these were addictive!  I finished them all very easily all by myself over 2 sittings.  They are crispy on the outside and smooth and creamy on the inside.  Totally addictive and tell me you don’t like them more than regular fries.  These go very well with steak, burgers or any of your grilled favorites.  I cannot wait to make them again! 

Technically avocados are a fruit, but since I'm using these as a side for a main meal, these seem more like a veggie to me in this instance, so I'm filing this recipe away under Vegetables.  If you look on my blog, I do try and index all my recipes.  I also indexed Facebook posts for a while, but found that first of all, I was working so hard to keep up (huge job!) and second of all, it began to cut into our book sales (not good!).  Another feature on my blog is the photo indexing.  You can browse through the photos of my posts by category and click on anything that looks interesting to you.  And, right at the bottom of my blog, if you hit the key called, "END," you'll find the most recent posts, sorted by popularity.

NOTE:  Such a small amount of bake mix is used.  If you prefer not to make the bake mix, you can probably just mix almond flour with the Parmesan cheese (it's not the fresh variety, if you know what I mean - in a can or bottle) and get a good result too.


How to ripen avocados....after many years (and wasting avocados...shhh!), I figured it out.  Place in a bag or paper bag with an open end in the pantry or cupboard (i.e. a dark place) and wait until they ripen to the point that you can press the avocados and make a very slight indentation with your finger....maybe that's not the right word.  It will give a little under the pressure of your finger. :)  Place in the refrigerator and use when desired.  You could use it in a week or two weeks and it will still be lovely, fresh and green.  Try it!

2 California avocados
2 large eggs
1/4  cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix (Click for recipe or see NOTE above) (60 mL)
  (OR use almond flour)
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (60 mL)
1/4  tsp seasoning salt (1 mL)
1/4  tsp salt (1 mL)
1/4  tsp black pepper (1 mL)
Light-tasting olive oil for frying

Preheat oven to 200°F (90°C). Peel and pit avocados.  Slice into fry shapes.  In small bowl, beat eggs.

In another small bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, Parmesan cheese, seasoning salt, salt and black pepper. 

Dip avocado fries in egg and then in seasoning mixture.  In nonstick pan, in olive oil, fry some of the avocado slices until golden brown and crispy on both sides.  Place avocado fries on a plate with a paper towel and into the oven to keep them warm.  Repeat with the remaining fries.

Helpful Hints:  You can also use the bigger variety of avocados.  The carbs will be a little higher.  The olive oil has not been factored into the nutritional analysis.

Yield:  3 servings
1 serving
266.1 calories
5.7 g protein
24.2 g fat
7.1 g net carbs

MORE RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY: CLICK HERE