*BLUEBERRY MUFFINS*



I made my Aunty Marie's Blueberry Muffins from Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 1. First I made them with my bake mix and next I made them with half my bake mix and half Carbalose flour (from www.netrition.com). Both muffins were delicious. The Carbalose ones rose a little higher (maybe because I used liners for them?) and were lighter in color and slightly less dense. I'm very pleased with both of them, however, my taste testers were slightly in favor of the Carbalose mix which mimics regular baking quite well. I like the idea of the extra fiber in the Carbalose flour. I like the idea that the muffins are still quite low in sodium, so no water weight blues. Use unsalted butter with the Carbalose version, although I forgot and used salted butter and it was fine (I did add a couple of Splenda packets extra though to make it sweeter because I used the salted butter - saltiness cuts sweetness, especially with Splenda).

So, conclusion: Sub half or less (depending on how sensitive you are to the taste of Carbalose flour and Carbquik) Carbalose flour or Carbquik (have not tried this though) in my recipes calling for another bake mix (have tested with Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix and Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix). If you have a regular recipe using white flour - again, substitute 1/2 Carbalose flour and 1/2 Low-Carb Bake Mix of choice.

AUNTY MARIE’S BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Taste just like high carb muffins. I added a couple of Splenda packets extra for even sweeter muffins, but it is not necessary. So I did a comparison - one batch with Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix (8.2 g carbs) and one batch with half Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix and Carbalose flour (5.5 g carbs). Notice the carbs were reduced nicely per muffin.

1/4 cup butter (salted or unsalted), softened (50 mL)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream (250 mL)
1/3 cup powdered erythritol (75 mL)
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (75 mL)
OR 2/3 cup SPLENDA® Granular (150 mL)
2 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free (25 mL)
Orange, OR Vanilla Syrup (OR vanilla, Splenda packet and water)
2 tsp grated lemon peel (10 mL)
1 3/4 cups (half Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix and Carbalose flour) (425 mL)
OR all Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
1 cup frozen blueberries (250 mL)
Optional Topping:
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular, (15 mL)
1/2 tsp lemon peel (2 mL)

In food processor with sharp blade or in bowl with electric mixer, process butter and eggs. Add sour cream, 2/3 cup (150 mL) SPLENDA® Granular (or erythritol-Splenda combo), Da Vinci® Sugar Free Orange or Vanilla Syrup and 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon peel; process.

In medium bowl, combine Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in sour cream mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill 12 greased muffin cups 2/3 full or fill paper liners sprayed with Pam.

In small bowl, stir together SPLENDA® Granular and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lemon peel if using the optional topping. Sprinkle tops of muffins with this mixture. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.

Nutritional Analysis: Yield: 12 muffins, 1 muffin: 145.3 calories; 6.3 g protein; 10.7 g fat; 5.5 g carbs

Variation: Cranberry-Pecan Muffins: Use 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen cranberries (chopped finely in food processor) and 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans. Increase SPLENDA® Granular to 3/4 cup (175 mL).