My Low-Sodium, High on Flavor Salad Dressings and Soups



This photograph shows a salad using Feta cheese (high sodium!) - skip the Feta and add tiny blocks of Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese rather.

A few years ago, I would occasionally order a salad at a fast food restaurant or elsewhere, thinking that was the healthy diet-conscious thing to do. One day I looked on the internet at the sodium content of all the different options at a popular fast food restaurant. The shocker was that my salad had way more sodium in it than the hamburger selections! I could hardly believe it, and when I analyzed it, I realized most of the sodium was coming from the salad dressing. I don't have hypertension (my husband does), but I do dislike putting on water weight. It makes me feel uncomfortable and I also don't like seeing that 2-pound jump on the bathroom scale the next morning.

The tasty salad dressings in my cookbooks are low-sodium in comparison to commercial varieties and they are so easy to make. Minutes before a meal, I quickly put a new one together. I always get compliments and don't have to worry about water weight gains. Now it is possible to make my salad dressings even lower in sodium by using No Salt (70%less sodium than regular salt) to replace the small amounts of salt required. No Salt is also high in potassium and iodine. What could be better? Now I replace all of the salt or part of the salt in my salad dressings and soups.

Just as with my salad dressings, my soups are also much lower in sodium than anything served in restaurants or out of a can.

Here are the names of the low-sodium salad dressings from my cookbooks:

Raspberry Vinaigrette
Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing (this one is higher due to the Parmesan cheese)
Thousand Island Dressing
Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise Salad Dressing
Creamy French Dressing
Honey Mustard Dressing
Ranch Dressing


Here are the names of the low-sodium soups from my cookbooks:

Mulligatawny Soup
Cream of Cauliflower Soup and 12 other cream of vegetable soups
Shrimp Curry Soup
French Onion Soup
Crock-pot Tomato Soup
Hamburger Soup (this one is higher, but sub 1/2 to 1 tsp No-Salt for 1 or 2 pkts beef bouillon to reduce sodium)
Cream of Avocado Soup
Deluxe Egg Drop Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup
Jeanne's Squash Soup
Faux Baked Potato Soup
Garden Cream of Tomato Soup
Hawaiian Shellfish Soup (shrimp and scallops)
Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
Condensed Cream of Tomato Soup
Red Pepper Soup