DROP SCONES



Drop scones may be Welsh in origin (don't quote me on that one), but the British, Scottish, Australians and South Africans love them. They make a great breakfast and are totally irresistible when served with plain Splenda-sweetened yogurt and sweet, succulent berries.

Recently, I made a slight change to my Low-Carb Cream Cheese Flap Jacks (in Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Vol. 1) as I called them. They reminded me exactly of the drop scones I loved as a child. Enjoy!

Drop Scones:
4 large eggs
4 oz regular cream cheese
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp baking powder
1 packet Splenda (optional)

In blender, combine eggs, cream cheese, whole wheat pastry flour, vital wheat gluten, baking powder, and Splenda, if using; process.

In large nonstick frying pan, spread a small amount of light-tasting olive oil. Drop by several rounded tablespoonfuls of batter onto hot skillet. Cook until bubbles form, being careful to reduce heat if they brown too quickly. Turn over and cook briefly on the other side. Stir batter and repeat.

Nutritional Analysis: 23 drop scones, 1 scone per serving:
43.3 calories; 2.7 g protein; 3.0 g fat; 1.2 g carbs


Helpful Hints: These are good with butter and low-carb fruit spread. I even like them cold with butter. I actually use my Healthy Butter recipe which is a super combination of real butter and light-tasting olive oil (tastes only like butter, but spreads like margarine from the refrigerator!). I have this healthy butter in the refrigerator all the time by popular demand from my family. Double or triple this recipe and keep some in the refrigerator. They last quite a while.