MOCK SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE




MOCK SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
  I really like this. It is pretty cool - combining two vegetables; squash and pumpkin.  I’m not sure how closely it mimics sweet potato casserole, but my husband said this is a keeper!  I have to admit I do like to mix savory and sweet flavors quite often.  I like doing that for breakfast, brunch, dinner, anytime!  Maybe it is because I have a bit of sweet tooth to begin with.  I am not sure.  However, since I don't have sugar, I really don't have to have dessert every day, however, typically I do like something sweet...somewhere, somehow...even if it is a small piece of fruit.  I am mostly in maintenance mode as I develop so many recipes and my life literally revolves around food most every day.  I dream about all the different things I will be making in the future.  I'm always gleaning ideas from my cookbooks or the internet (mostly!) and it is very exciting as I think of ways to make something better or more unique and wonderful in some way.  This way I can claim it as my own.  This is how new and unique and wonderful recipes are created.  Some of the best recipes I have created begin with an idea and simply evolve as I work in the kitchen and taste-test my creations.  I do know my particular gift (not unique to me) is from God, just like any other gift is in my opinion, so I'm using this talent to benefit others and to serve others as best I can!

2 eggs
2 tbsp melted butter (30 mL)
Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 1 cup sugar (250 mL)
2 tbsp powdered erythritol (30 mL)
1/2  tsp salt (2 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups any cooked yellow squash (500 mL)
  (not spaghetti squash though)
1 cup canned pumpkin (250 mL)
1/2  cup heavy cream (125 mL)
1/2  tsp glucomannan powder, OR cornstarch, OR arrowroot powder (2 mL)
Ground nutmeg sprinkle

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  In food processor, process eggs, butter, liquid sweetener, erythritol, salt and vanilla extract.  Add squash, pumpkin, heavy cream and glucomannan powder, OR cornstarch, OR arrowroot powder; process until smooth.  Pour into 9-inch glass pie dish. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg. Bake about 40 minutes or until set.

Helpful Hints:  Whenever I want to reduce the sodium in a dish, I use half regular salt and half No Salt®.  The latter does not taste great on its own, but mixed with regular salt, it tastes great in most dishes and even baking.  These days I don't worry about salt.  It turns out that having too little salt actually has the potential to shorten one's life, and the original guidelines were too low and incorrect.

Yield:  8 servings
1 serving
113.3 calories
2.7 g protein
9.1 g fat
4.8 g carbs