PEPPER JACK SQUASH CAKES





PEPPER JACK SQUASH CAKES

These squash cakes are the best I’ve yet made, I think.  I think I ate four of these before they even made it to the table!  Very addictive with the little bit of Pepper Jack cheese in them and the crispy edges.  I’m not one for very spicy food, but this was just right for me - I mixed it with regular Monterey Jack cheese in order to make them a bit milder for my taste. Try them, I think you will also love them!  I am making them again this week!  Can't wait!

4 cups grated squash, (1 L)
  (I used ayote squash (common here - click on the highlighted text) – can use butternut squash too)
1/cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, OR (75 mL)
  do a mix of almond flour, or ground almonds and coconut flour!
4 oz Pepper Jack cheese (125 g)
1/cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (125 mL)
2 eggs, fork beaten
1 tsp seasoning salt (5 mL)
1/tsp black pepper (2 mL)
1/cup bacon fat (60 mL)

In large bowl, combine squash, Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 (or alternative), Pepper Jack cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. 

In small bowl, beat eggs with fork and stir in seasoning salt and black pepper.  Add to squash and mix really well.  Form into patties.

In nonstick frying pan, in bacon fat, over medium heat, cook a few cakes at time.  Flip them as necessary, so that they are lovely and golden on both sides.  Push down with the spatula on the cakes from time to time to reduce moisture in them and make them flatter and crispier on the outside.

Yield:  10 squash cakes 
1 squash cake (with bake mix)
151.8 calories
6.3 g protein
12.8 g fat
0.3 g fiber
2.7 g net carbs


For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:

Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!