APRICOT ORANGE ICE CREAM



APRICOT ORANGE ICE CREAM
This ice cream has a delightful orange flavor.  The apricot flavor is much more subtle than the orange but together the flavors mingle nicely.  The apricot orange ice cream is between the texture of creamy ice cream and a sorbet; very pleasant indeed. This ice cream should remain scoopable for at least a couple of days.  It has something to do with the cream I use:  HERE (I use something similar where I live).  I cannot normally justify buying fresh cream over here.  First of all, it costs a fortune - like $10 for 1 pint (2 cups) and second of all, it goes bad very quickly, even when refrigerated immediately.  It might not be as big a deal these days as I had my refrigerator fixed recently and it runs a bit colder nowadays.  I have not put it to the test yet. 

81/2 oz can apricots, drained (241 g)
  (sugarless, packed in water)
2 cups chilled whipping cream (750 mL)
  (the kind that sits on the shelf)  
1 cup half and half (or half cream, half water)
Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 1 cup sugar (250 mL)
2 tbsp powdered erythritol (30 mL)
1 tsp orange extract (5 mL)
1/tsp apricot extract, optional* (1 mL)
1/tsp xanthan gum, optional (1 mL)

In blender, blend apricots.  Add cream, sweetener, powdered erythritol, orange extract and xanthan gum.  Place in ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions. Place in a deep container, seal and freeze.

Helpful Hint:  I was able to find this extract, but it is unusual, and I actually did not use it in this ice cream.  I think it might have boosted the apricot flavor in this ice cream.

Yield:  12 servings
1 serving
154.8 calories
1.7 g protein
14.8 g fat
4.0 g carbs


For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!