SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE, LOW-CARB BAKE MIX 3


SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX 3

UPDATE:  Gelatin is a wonderful alternative to xanthan gum to prevent crumbly outcomes in baking - it helps all the components of the bake mix to work together nicely and cohesively.  It's healthy as can be, however, I started leaving out both xanthan gum and gelatin recently, but had issues with a couple of recipes being a bit crumbly.  To be honest, the xanthan gum worked so well (but hubby banned it in the house as it causes tummy issues for him!) and the gelatin worked well most times, but sometimes I found the baked goods to be too dense, plus I figured the math was confusing some people.  So recently, I've started using GELATIN again, but now I'm making it simpler and using much, much less with pretty good results so far.   GO OVER HERE TO SEE THE NEW RULE FOR GELATIN INCLUSION.  UPDATE:  the bake mix with xanthan gum and the bake mix using gelatin are directly interchangeable.  

LATEST NEWS: OATS ARE PALEO!  CHECK OUT THE ARTICLE - CLICK HERE!

NOTE: Xanthan gum and gelatin are not usually required for pie crusts (other than my single pie crust which mimics a pastry crust) and won't be required for crumb toppings, etc.  Just use common sense where needed. 

 Of late, I have been making recipes without gelatin or xanthan gum.  Typically, I don't need any extra eggs when I am substituting the bake mix in a recipe with white flour.  I still add the extra bake mix as per the instructions and that's about it.  Sometimes I may need a little less or more of the wet ingredients, but often, everything stays the same.  This is good news for those of us who cannot handle the xanthan gum (tummy issues) and for those who don't want to be bothered with using the gelatin.  Of course, there is the possibility that with some of your own recipes you may need to add a little gelatin or xanthan gum (depending on your preference), if you find that it needs the binding to prevent a crumbly outcome.  My tried-and-true recipes from now on without gelatin or xanthan gum will be fine, of course.  As I continue to experiment, I will update my findings here. 


If you'd like to use this simplified version in my older recipes:  Recipes using xanthan gum:  Use one less egg. Recipes using gelatin: Just skip the gelatin in the recipe (you may need slightly less of the wet ingredients).

Why the small amount of oat flour over time should help lower cholesterol:  READ ABOUT IT HERE

The virtues of my bake mix - READ ABOUT IT HERE

SUBSTITUTIONS:

WHAT CAN BE USED INSTEAD OF OAT FLOUR?  Did you know Paleo people were using oats?  CLICK HERE TO SEE. Sorghum flour or whole wheat pastry flour (similar carbs to oat flour, however, not gluten-free), or lupin flour (low-carb and makes baked goods quite yellow sometimes, but seems to work for a number of recipes). Some people are very allergic to lupin flour and it can cause anaphylaxis shock (so, really not a great choice at all, in my opinion, considering the risk!). If you don't have Celiac, you can use any oat flour, not just Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oat flour.  Some people want to know why I would use oat flour in the bake mix, as many are afraid of grains these days, but, frankly, modern wheat is the dangerous one.  I like my baking to taste more like what we were used to... more normal and less "low-carb" if you know what I mean.  I think sometimes almond flour and coconut flour baking can leave something to be desired.   I like the profile of oat flour (in any case it makes up a small portion of the bake mix) to lower cholesterol.  If slightly more carbs are not an issue, then Einkorn flour, an ancient wheat, could be a tasty consideration.  If gluten is not an issue, Carbalose flour from Netrition.com could be another alternative, as it is quite low-carb. 

WHAT CAN BE USED INSTEAD OF ALMOND FLOUR?  Hazelnut flour or Walnut flour mixed with hazelnut flour or if you like a mix of almond flour and walnut flour (this is pretty tasty!). Some have tried Chestnut flour.  If you cannot have nuts at all, email me for a wonderful Nut-Free Bake Mix (however, it uses gluten).  You will find my email in my profile...just scroll right down on the right hand side margin of my blog. :)  I actually should share it on my blog and will do that one of these days!

WHAT CAN BE USED INSTEAD OF COCONUT FLOUR?  Golden flaxseed meal.  I'm not sure the baking will taste as good, and I'm not a fan of flax, however, it is an alternative.  Another alternative could be oat fiber and would probably be wonderful.  It is not certified gluten-free, and to my knowledge there is none available...it could be contaminated with wheat, so not suitable for people with Celiac disease.

I don't know what I would do without my bake mix; just so useful for so many baking applications. Remember everyone is different.  You may be able to use this bake mix for some things like English Muffins or hamburger buns and an occasional dessert, and still lose weight, and some may find they can't have it until maintenance.  It is not Induction friendly, however, if you are simply having 20 to 50 grams of carbs a day, this bake mix can make your WOE way more exciting and livable for the long term. Besides you now have a way to use some of your own favorite recipes (not just ones that I pick), substitute the bake mix for the white flour (follow instructions) and usually get great results. This bake mix typically needs eggs, but I've been surprised by others using this bake mix in some recipes where apparently it wasn't necessary.  It's just more predictable if you have eggs in the recipe. For instance, a loaf or bread without eggs is not going to work with this bake mix.

Quote from a fan on our Facebook page and a nurse by profession: "I am a 20g or less low carber. Live in ketosis. I use Jen's bake mix often and never have any problems, never go over on my carbs, never knocks me out of ketosis. And it has opened up a whole world of amazing dishes, from low carb breads/rolls, even to veggie dishes (ie yellow squash casserole). Look at her carb counts per serving, very low...

When people go low carb, they give up a lot, (of course they gain so much more)...you are right in that the bake mix gives baked goods a feel, taste, and texture that is closer to mainstream baked goods, and does it with VERY little carbs. Nut flours are nice, but a bit heavy, and excess nuts are also not a good idea. Coconut flour is really nice and light, but you gotta use a million eggs! Lol!!! So this very low carb bake mix can help win a lot of folks over to low carbing and a healthier way of life by giving them something that seems close to what they are used to. Ok. Climbing off my soap box now! Lol!

For those that don't have a particular intolerance to oat, it is a very small amount and would still allow a person to stay low carb. She uses the gluten free oat flour. I don't particularly eat the oat for the cholesterol benefits, because low carbing in general will provide all the help with cholesterol you will need. I think most people in the grain free world view wheat as the real culprit. I am completely wheat and gluten free by choice. (I have no food allergies or intolerances.) Yet after carefully reviewing Jen's recipes and carb counts using the bake mixes, I gave it a try. I love the bake mix! And as I said, I keep at 20g or below and stay in continual ketosis. Can't get much more low carb than that. So as long as a person doesn't have a specific intolerance to oats, I encourage all to try!"

HOW TO STORE THE BAKE MIX:

I usually keep my bake mix in the container shown above.  We have a hot and humid climate and we don't use air conditioning other than in the one bedroom.  It normally is fine at room temperature in the airtight container for at least a month.  If I need to store it for longer, I freeze it and typically use that for "breading" veggies and fish, etc., as usually I don't have a lot to freeze.  However, after thawing completely and shaking it in your container to mix well, it should be good to go for baking.  I have also used it straight out of the freezer - somehow with the other ingredients in the bake mix, it typically doesn't form too many clumps, which almond flour on its own has a tendency to do when frozen.  Just stir the bake mix real well, and then put the lid on the container and shake it vigorously.  Of course, you could just simply refrigerate it, and then the bake mix is ready to go right away.

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX 3


 The same old bake mix as before without using gelatin or xanthan gum!   Now it is just very simple.  I will continue to experiment.  Maybe there will be some recipes that could benefit from a bit of gelatin...time will tell.  So far so good.  My husband has "banned" xanthan gum use in our house.  He is super-sensitive (intestinal distress) to it, so it really makes me wonder how good it can be for us?  I'm used to it and typically it doesn't bother me at all anymore.  Oh well...times change and one has to go with the flow sometimes. :)

 
12/3  cups almond meal, OR (400 mL; 182 g)
almond flour (yield is greater with almond flour by up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) more) 
3/4  cup certified Gluten-Free oat flour*, (Bob’s Red Mill®not Legacy Valley®(175 ml; 100 g)  
2 tbsp coconut flour, (Bob’s Red Mill®) (30 mL)
  
In large bowl, combine almond meal, OR almond flour, oat flour and coconut flour. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine.  When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix.  Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Yield:   21/2 cups (625 mL)
1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving
125.0 calories
4.5 g protein
8.9 g fat
5.7 g net carbs

Instructions for substituting the bake mix in your own flour-containing recipes:  Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup (250 mL) or more than 1 cup (250 mL) flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp (30 mL) more if substituting for less than 1 cup (250 mL). 

When using this bake mix in your regular, flour-filled recipes, keep the number of eggs the same, and withhold 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the liquid/wet ingredients and add at the end (you will most likely need all the wet ingredients and occasionally even more).  If the batter is too wet, add more bake mix 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, process and check the batter consistency.  If the batter is too stiff, then add more of the liquid/wet ingredients (an extra egg possibly, but not in the case of cookies).  The instructions for this bake mix are still evolving as I get more experience with it.

Muffins, Loaves (sweet or savory), Biscuits, Scones, Bread-like Substitutes:  This bake mix is wonderful for these applications.  Yeast breads are not likely to work with this bake mix used on its own.

Cakes and Cupcakes:  They tend to be more dense than normal. Use half to three quarters less butter in cake recipes – rather add more liquid, if necessary, or add an extra egg.  

Cookies:  Keep the number of eggs called for in the cookie recipe the same and follow the instructions for replacing flour with the bake mix. Cookies will usually be fragile straight out of the oven.  Leave them to cool completely on the cookie sheet, and if you have a chest freezer, place the whole cookie sheet in the freezer, or use a thin, metal spatula to transfer cooled cookies to dinner plates and place in the freezer.  Once frozen, place in a sealed container back in the freezer or refrigerator.  You don't have to do all of this with more robust cookies.

Helpful Hints:  I realize there are slight differences between using almond meal or almond flour in the bake mixes.  Using almond flour will increase the ratio of almond flour to the other ingredients (because the yield is greater), which makes for a slightly less robust bake mix.  If using almond flour, you can experiment by adding 1 to 2 tbsp (15-30) extra oat flour or 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra coconut flour to the bake mix for your own general purposes (just a suggestion, no guarantees!).  Many of my recipes have been tested with almond flour, and not almond meal.  It is convenient to double, triple or quadruple this bake mix.

*If you are intolerant to certified gluten-free oat flour, then substitute some other gluten-free flour, such as sorghum flour, which others have had success with.


For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 

http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!