THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, March 27, 2014

ALMOND BLONDIES




ALMOND BLONDIES
These are moist, fudgy bars – like brownies. If you prefer you can just top with chopped almonds and leave the chocolate off.  I liked the chocolate though – it is not very much and adds some extra sweetness.  You may want to make a double batch of these as they go very quickly! 

NOTE:  I am discovering of late that very often the Gluten-Free Bake Mix requires neither the xanthan gum nor the gelatin.  This recipe requires neither.  Just make up the bake mix, and leave out the xanthan gum.  I am going to experiment more and more with this idea.  It just makes it easier all round.  No extra eggs required.  We still add a bit more bake mix over the white flour we are substituting it for, and sometimes a little less of the wet ingredients will be required.  Most times the recipe will remain as is.  Real simple, the way I like it!  I guess I'm learning as I go along.  I had to stop using xanthan gum, as my husband would complain bitterly of a sore tummy.  Then I started with using gelatin, and although it works well, it is not really required most of the time.  Cookies will be a little more fragile without xanthan gum or gelatin...they would still benefit from the Bake Mix with xanthan gum (one doesn't add an extra egg for cookies anyway).  That said, most of my cookies have been fine without either.  I just wait for them to cool completely on the cookie sheet, before moving them.

UPDATE:  I've gone back to using gelatin after a couple of recipes turned out crumbly.  Gelatin is very good for one in any case!  I'm liking my new easier rules (NO math required. Yay!).  See over here.  I am making these again today...with 1 tsp gelatin (as per new rule) - this recipe didn't need xanthan gum or gelatin.

P.S.  For your convenience, I will update my findings here later today. :)  Hot out of the oven (used the gelatin), this dessert is perfect and so tasty!  Let you know later how it is when it cools down.  These were only a titch less moist/doughy (the first time I made it without the gelatin (bake mix 2) and without xanthan gum (bake mix 1) with the gelatin, but more authentic this way and now I notice my hubby carving away at it too....success! :)  I would suggest using the gelatin.

2 eggs
Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 3/4  cup (175 mL)
  sugar
1/4  cup granulated erythritol (60 mL)
1/2   cup light olive oil (125 mL)
1  tsp almond extract, OR vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp unflavored gelatin (5 mL)
11/4  cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (300 mL)
  page___
1/tsp baking powder (2 mL)
1/tsp salt (0.5 mL)
1/4  cup sugar-free chocolate chips (60 mL)
11/2   tbsp chopped, raw almonds (22 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan. 

In food processor, process eggs.  Add sweetener, erythritol, olive oil and almond extract; process.  In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix (see link above), baking powder and salt.  Spread in pan and smooth top (if using gelatin cover with a piece of plastic wrap and press the batter out smoothly). 

In food processor, with sharp blade in place, process chocolate chips and almonds until chopped.  Sprinkle over top of blondies.  Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely on wire rack before serving.  I like these served at room temperature.


Yield:  16 servings
1 big serving
126.5 calories
2.5 g protein
11.3 g fat

2.1 g net carbs



For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:

Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 

http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced! 

No comments: