THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Sunday, October 27, 2013



This cake looks very attractive and has wonderful height for a one-layer cake.  The texture is perfect now - drier than before and more cake-like.  If you are looking for a blueberry coffee cake that will impress your guests, look no further!  This is the nicest low-carb and gluten-free Blueberry Coffee Cake I have made to date.  I knew after I made the Overnight Blueberry Coffee Cake, that I needed to make another one - a fancier cake - a more sophisticated cake - and this is it!!  You can see I could barely wait for the cake to cool down before I frosted it!  LOL  However, the frosting held up well, as I had it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so.  Do wait for the cake to cool completely before frosting.  Don't follow my bad example.  I just couldn't wait to taste it, but you know I still have to frost it, then set up the photo shoot and take photos and more photos.  I'm not pretending to be a great photographer or food stylist. Sometimes I do better than at other times.  Ironically, my husband's hobby is cameras and photography, but he doesn't have patience, so I do it myself rather than involve him at all.  Still, he would probably take better pictures.  I have a nice camera lens though and that helps a lot.  

3 eggs
1/cup butter, melted (60 mL)
2 tbsp sour cream (30 mL)
Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 2/cup sugar (150 mL)
1/cup granulated erythritol (75 mL)
11/2  tsp vanilla extract (7 mL)
21/2  cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, (625 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
1/2  tsp baking soda (2 mL)
1/tsp salt (1 mL)
3/cup low-carb milk, OR (175 mL)
  almond milk, OR mixture of cream and water
11/2  cups frozen blueberries (NOT fresh) (375 mL)
1 tbsp Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1 (15 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick springform pan and dust with bake mix. In food processor, process eggs, butter, and sour cream.  Add liquid sweetener, erythritol and vanilla extract; process very well. 

In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir well.  Add half the dry ingredients with half the “milk” of choice and process; repeat.  In medium bowl, combine frozen blueberries and 1 tbsp (15 mL) Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1.  Stir into batter.  The batter will be very thick (this is normal – the frozen blueberries will help moisten the batter while the cake bakes).  Drop batter in prepared springform pan, smoothing the surface with the back of a spoon.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until turning light brown in places and a knife inserted in cake comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely on a cake rack.  Run knife around perimeter of springform pan and release cake.  Frost with Vanilla Cream Frosting, OR Better than Betty Frosting, if desired. 

Helpful Hints:  Keep at room temperature for 24 hours, but after that make sure to cover and refrigerate the cake.  Take out 2 hours before serving again.  

Yield:  12/16 servings
1 serving
168.4/126.3 calories
5.9/4.4 g protein
13.2/9.9 g fat
5.3/4.0 g net carbs

For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:

Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced! 

No comments: