CHICKEN A LA KING SERVED OVER BISCUITS



CHICKEN A LA KING

Serve over Mozzarella Cheese Biscuits. (CLICK FOR RECIPE) This is an old favorite and comfort food for sure!  I served it with a simple avocado and egg salad.  Some people are gourmet cooks but I can never describe myself as one. I cook very simply and because I live far away from the city, I prefer using dried herbs to fresh herbs, besides when I have fresh herbs in the fridge, I feel such pressure to make something with them. LOL  Anyway, that's just me, so you'll find my recipes are typically short, not complicated, and therefore, not difficult and most likely you will also have the ingredients on hand in your pantry.  For me, when I see a gourmet-style recipe with ingredients I've barely heard of, let alone tasted, I don't go there.  I think it's plain laziness on my part, but I'm used to cooking the way I do. Don't get me wrong if somehow I'm blessed enough to eat a gourmet meal, I'm usually blown away by how wonderful it is.  I remember Paris and my 46th birthday...fondly!!  Now when it comes to baking, I like to experiment and forge a new path where possible - that's where I like to play!  However, these days I don't do nearly as much of that as I used to. 

1/cup light olive oil, divided (60 mL)
2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms (500 mL)
1/cup chopped onion (125 mL)
Seasoning salt, to taste
4 large chicken breasts (2.2 lbs), cut (1 kg)
  into bite-size pieces
Seasoning salt, to taste
2/cup heavy cream (150 mL)
2 oz spreadable cream cheese, OR (60 g)
  regular
2 tsp instant chicken stock mix (15 mL)
1/tsp salt, OR to taste (2 mL)
1/8  tsp white pepper (0.5 mL)
2 tsp cornstarch (10 mL)

In electric frying pan or large skillet, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil and stir-fry mushrooms and onion until browned.  Sprinkle with seasoning salt, to taste.  Set aside.  In remaining oil, cook chicken (sprinkle with seasoning salt) until turning white but not yet fully cooked.  Add mushrooms and onions, cream, cream cheese, instant chicken stock mix, salt and white pepper.  Bring to the boil.  Take some of liquid from pan, place in small bowl and dissolve cornstarch in it. Reduce heat slightly and simmer until sauce thickens.  Serve over Mozzarella Cheese Biscuits,.

Variation:  Chicken A La King Casserole:  Pour chicken mixture into 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) glass baking dish.  Cover with large dollops, approximately 3 tbsp (45 mL) Mozzarella Cheese Biscuit batter over entire casserole. 

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 20 minutes, or until biscuit topping is golden brown.

Yield:  4/6 servings
1 serving without biscuit
271.2/406.8 calories
19.1/28.6 g protein
20.0/30.1g fat
3.0/4.4 g net carbs