TENDER OVEN SWISS STEAK




TENDER OVEN SWISS STEAK
Enjoy the delicious flavors of an old-fashioned favorite!  Dutch Oven and  slow-cooker food is comfort food at its best, but the part I like the most is the simplicity of it all and how after very little preparation the oven or slow cooker does all the work for one.  For busy working folks or new mothers, Dutch oven (covered large pot is fine too) and slow cooker recipes can be a real time saver.  I remember when my boys were little what it was like and with a newborn, plus a toddler - oh my!  My dear, sweet hubby had the cheek to ask me one day when he got back from work what I had done all day.  I wrote out a long list per hour of all my duties.  Haha - that put an end to the matter!   I had to cook with my first baby boy in a snuggly because he could not bear to be put down to lie on his own without me there. Even when he was a little bigger and I would put him in a little swing, he was only happy until it stopped swinging and then he'd shout.  LOL  I had to go and wind up the swing again and then he'd be happy for 5 minutes, if that!  Now I'm looking forward to grandchildren.  I hear it is such a wonderful thing to be a grandparent.    

NOTE:  Use red onions if the mixture of tomatoes and onions catches your tummy (this happens to my husband and his mother...strange, but true.)


For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!




2 tbsp olive oil (30 mL)
21/2 lbs beef round steak (1.1 kg)
1/2 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix (125 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp black pepper (5 mL)
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 carrot, thinly sliced
14.5 oz canned, diced tomatoes (411 g)
1 cup water (250 mL)  (add 1 /12 cups water - better!)
2 tbsp tomato paste (30 mL)
1 tsp crushed garlic (5 mL)
1/4 tsp seasoning salt (1 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  In small bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, salt and pepper.  Dredge steaks in bake mix.

In large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Brown steaks in hot oil.  Place in large pot with lid.  Place onion and carrots over steaks.  In medium bowl, combine diced tomatoes, water, tomato paste, crushed garlic, seasoning salt and any remaining bake mix.  Pour over steak and vegetables.  Put lid on pot and bake 3 hours or until meat is tender.  Add more water during the last hour for more sauce, if desired.

Yield:  8 servings
1 serving
504.4 calories
41.2 g protein
33.0 g fat
6.2 g net carbs