GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX USING GELATIN AND LATEST BAKING RESULTS

I've been very happy with the results I am getting in my baking using the Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix and gelatin instead of xanthan gum to prevent crumbly outcomes.  Gelatin is so good for one (this is a good link for info on gelatin with more embedded links) and besides I've always had a bit of a query regarding xanthan gum as too much of it affects my tummy. It's great for me personally to have this healthy alternative.  It doesn't mean that those who love my original Gluten-Free Bake Mix using xanthan gum cannot continue to use it. I believe it is a one-to-one exchange.

I love using the gelatin as it is healthy and my nails are so much stronger, plus you only have to visit Dana Carpender's blog and do a search for gelatin articles and you can see she loves the stuff!  Here is one of Dana's articles - very interesting!  You can buy gelatin at Netrition.com which is where I get mine from.   Read the instructions for using gelatin along with the newer bake mix idea and you'll see what I mean.  Great Lakes makes 2 kinds of gelatin....people rave about it. You'd have to look and see which one is appropriate for baking.

My Banana Loaf in Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume 1 was very popular and so I decided to make the recipe, but make 12 muffins instead of a loaf with the batter and use gelatin, of course.  It was a success. I find that when one refrigerates the baked goods that they will get much denser, so either nuking it briefly or setting out at room temperature the night before or an hour or two before eating it, makes the texture fluffier. Using gelatin keeps the baked product from becoming crumbly and falling apart.

BANANA MUFFINS  - RECIPE OVER HERE  Leave out xanthan gum and use 1 tsp unflavored gelatin added to the wet ingredients (mix in and allow to sit for 5 minutes or so).  Add chocolate chips and/or raisins snipped in half, if desired to the muffin batter.  8.6 g carbs for one, so more carby than the loaf which is 5.7 g carbs per slice.  This is more of a maintenance-style recipe or for those who do moderate low-carbing. Great recipe for children or teenagers who are on a lower carb diet, but not super low.

CARROT ZUCCHINI LOAF (FIND THE RECIPE HERE - USE 1 TSP UNFLAVORED GELATIN INSTEAD OF XANTHAN GUM.  ADD TO THE WET INGREDIENTS AND MIX WELL.  LET IT SIT FOR 5 MINUTES BEFORE ADDING THE DRY INGREDIENTS.)



Vicki Allwardt who said this about my Carrot Zucchini Loaf using the xanthan gum:

"Carrot Cake and frosting rated a 10 from my hubby!  I think you could market this..."

said this:

"Jennifer, I made your carrot cake with the new gelatin added bake mix and it was awesome again.  Very moist and held shape.  I used part coconut oil and part olive oil.  It's great."

Here is a photo of Vicki's Loaf that she sent me via email.