CHEWY HOLIDAY BARS




CHEWY HOLIDAY BARS
These tasty, chewy squares are very satisfying. If you like, you could also add a couple of tablespoons of snipped raisins, prunes or dried apricots.  As you can see I'm beginning to differentiate between Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1 and 2.  I will share Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 shortly.  It is the same bake mix but with instructions on how to use unflavored gelatin (which I buy in bulk (the NOW brand) to save money and for convenience) instead of xanthan gum to prevent crumbly outcomes in baked goodies. Some people cannot tolerate xanthan gum well.  Today I rarely use gelatin in my recipes (although I add it to my tea as it is so good for nails and skin), as they mostly simply work without crumbly issues.

 I am well aware of the fact that some people will not use my bake mix and yet others are grateful to have a low-carb and gluten-free bake mix to easily be able to convert their own special, beloved recipes to low-carb.  Some people do not want the oat flour in my bake mix because they are on Induction or they steadfastly want to be completely grain free and I do understand that and certainly admire such dedication and I encourage that for those folks.  I now have two grain-free bake mixes:  Grain-Free Bake Mix and Keto Bake Mix

For others, it is good to remember that there is a grain rung on the Atkins Diet and if you look at my recipes, they are all suitably low-carb, so for those who can later tolerate a little oat flour very much diluted in the Gluten-Free Bake Mix which is mostly almond flour or almond meal (you can use either) and a little coconut flour, good eating lies ahead and an easy way to still use favorite, family recipes (see the virtues of my bake mix).  There are plenty of completely grain-free desserts in my section as well as in all the other authors' sections of our Low-Carbing Among Friends' cookbooks, PLUS the Keto Bake Mix and Gluten-Free Bake Mixes are interchangeable.  We all bring something unique to the table, so to speak.  I have used Splenda Granular for many years, but have switched to EZ-Sweetz (sucralose) and erythritol (I have heard good things about Swerve and will try it one of these days...thought it was a bit expensive!), however, people are welcome to use their own favorite sweeteners instead (I give equivalent sugar amounts, so it is relatively easy to figure out the substitution).  In our family, we have used tons of our preferred sweetener for 20 years without any ill effects.  To the contrary, had we used sugar, fructose or agave syrup (very high fructose), we'd be in a spot of trouble, I don't doubt!  A new addition in my baking is erythritol, which I like using in combination with sucralose these days.  I cannot use Stevia - the taste is not sweet, but very bitter to me and for many people this is also the case.  I along with other cookbook authors (Dana Carpender, Judy Barnes Baker, George Stella and Kent Altena) continue to use sucralose, probably for similar reasons. I like Steviva Blend (stevia and erythritol) though and the Natural Mate Sweeteners.  Natural Mate combos of erythritol and stevia or erythritol and sucralose is very popular and it is awesome in my opinion.  


Crust:
1 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, OR Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 (250 mL)*  OR almond flour
1/2 cup ground almonds, OR almond flour (125 mL)
7 tbsp butter, melted (105 mL)
Topping:
8 oz regular cream cheese (250 g)
1/4 cup sour cream (60 mL)
Liquid sweetener to equal 1/2 cup sugar (125 mL)
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (1 mL)
3/4  cup unsweetened shredded coconut (175 mL)
1/4 cup powdered erythritol, OR an allulose blend (60 mL)
6 oz (1 cup) sugar-free chocolate chips, OR this one(180 g)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, OR pecans (125 mL)

Crust:    In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, OR Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, ground almonds and melted butter.  Press onto bottom of 13 x 9-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish.  Bake at 350°F (180°C) 10 minutes. *(Basically for a crust, neither xanthan gum or gelatin in the bake mixes are required.  If desired, just use your normal crust that you enjoy making....even a mixture of almond flour and vanilla whey protein works real well).

Topping:  In food processor, process cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.  Add liquid sweetener, egg and vanilla extract; process until smooth.  Spread evenly over crust.  In small bowl, combine coconut and erythritol, OR an allulose blend.  Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Sprinkle cream cheese layer with the mixture of sweetened coconut, chocolate chips and chopped walnuts, OR pecans. Press into cream cheese layer slightly. Bake 17 minutes at 350°F (180°C).  Refrigerate when cool.

Yield: 36 servings
1 serving
111.5 calories
2.4 g protein
9.8 g fat
1.7 g net carbs

SEE our beautiful coil-bound books (last 5 gorgeous, Low-Carbing Among Friends' Team cookbooks,  the coil matches the books): Amongfriends.us/Findourbeautifulrecipebooks  This wonderful low-carb/keto collection of cookbooks (tons of photos, coil-bound!) is expected to sell out and they will not be printed again.  Limited stocks; get yours now!  KINDLES available! 

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.  Here is my Amazon store for more of my favorite products: AMAZON STORE  Thank you for your support.