CHEDDAR SANDWICH BREAD




CHEDDAR SANDWICH BREAD

This is my Jiffy Cheddar Sandwich bread made into a loaf.  This bread can be sliced thinner - there is really no need for very thick slices.  Hmm as I look at the pic, I think I'm ready to make this bread again real soon!  I've been so busy that I've not been in the kitchen too much, but with Christmas coming up and cooking and baking for the family, that's about to change.  I'm all set for Christmas otherwise.  The tree is up and the presents are bought and I had a lot of fun decorating this year.  I just need to set the table this week. I do love Christmas. After Mother's Day, Christmas is my favorite day and time of the year.  Then come Birthdays and Thanksgiving. How about you?  I plan to have plenty of lower-carb choices this Christmas so that I won't fall prey to sugary, Lindt milk chocolate, my Achilles heel.

8 eggs
21/tbsp melted butter (35 mL)
  {2 tbsp (30 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL)}
21/tbsp mayonnaise* (35 mL)
21/tbsp heavy cream, OR (35 mL)
  coconut milk
21/tbsp water (35 mL)
2 tsp psyllium husk powder (optional) (10 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, (500 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (2 mL)   
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (500 mL)
  
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In food processor or in bowl with mixer, process eggs and butter.  Add mayonnaise, heavy cream, OR coconut milk, water and psyllium husk powder.  Process on slow speed while preparing the rest of the recipe and continue processing 8 minutes.  In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1 and baking powder.  Add to wet ingredients and process until thickened.  Stir in Cheddar cheese.

Using a rubber spatula to remove the batter completely, scrape it into an 8 x 4-inch (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Spread batter evenly to all edges with the back of a spoon.  If desired, put a little more batter on either end as this bread does dome slightly. Bake 50 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Cover with foil during last 10 minutes if necessary.  Allow bread to cool 10 minutes in the pan.  Remove to wire rack and carefully remove parchment paper.  Slice when completely cool and allow the slices to air dry on a wire rack before refrigerating in a sealed container.  Nuke a slice briefly and it is as if the bread was freshly baked again.

Helpful Hints:  Some brands of psyllium husk powder have more grit than others and yet others can impart a slight purplish color.  Allowing the psyllium husk powder to soften sufficiently in the wet ingredients helps remove grit.  Apparently Jay Robb® makes great psyllium husks, which you can then grind into a powder in a coffee grinder or powerful blender.  I used the NOW® brand which contains some grit. Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.  It is easier to slice uniform, thinner slices when the bread is cool.  This bread does not need to be cut into thick slices. I much prefer thinner slices and, believe me; they are not too thin at all for this bread – just right!  Great with butter and sugar-free preserves.  See my Miscellaneous section for recipes. You can toast the slices. *21/tbsp (35 mL) is 2 tbsp (30 mL) and 1 tsp (5 mL).

Yield:  20 to 24 slices
1 slice
157.6/131.3 calories
7.3/6.1 g protein
12.7/10.6 g fat
2.8/2.3 g net carbs