INTERMITTENT FASTING EVERY OTHER DAY - HEALTHIER!


There is a right way and a wrong way to do Intermittent Fasting apparently.  I did not know that, so when I found this article a few minutes ago, I thought I'd share with my low-carbing friends.

I have been skipping supper most days (not every day) for a while now, but not losing weight - just maintaining and feeling good though.  Found this article that suggests that eating restricted calories every other day is actually very healthy and healthier than what I've been doing.  In fact, it seems to suggest that skipping meals during the day and eating one big meal at night is very unhealthy and can lead to diabetes.  Wow!  I've never done IFing that way, but it is interesting. There is actually a diet called the Warrior Diet.  If I recall the diet follows that pattern of overeating at night. I would imagine with a huge meal at night that the fasting glucose level would be higher in the morning.  It also mentions in the article that  this way of skipping meals and eating one big meal at night results in a delayed insulin response - meaning the blood sugar would be higher until it kicks in - again, not good.

This was an eye opener for me.  I think I'm going to try the every other day thing at some point rather with restricted calories one of the days and eating normally the next.  There is a diet that specifically follows that idea and it is called the Johnson's UpDay DownDay Diet.  However, although in principle it sounds good to be able to eat anything you want to one day and then restrict calories to 400 or 500 the next day, I don't think eating junk food is helpful for anyone, normal weight or not.  I would say eat healthy and eat lower carb  (the level you feel good at) both days, then you're really scoring!  I like this idea.  I want to try it out.  I can fudge calories very easily, so I'd have to use Fit Day when I finally decide to do this, or have a few rotation meals that equal that amount of calories required and just stick with those meals only.  Those days could be a bit boring, but safe on the other hand.

Anyway, interesting food for thought and who would have thought doing IFing incorrectly can lead to diabetes?  Yikes!