Pumpkin Bread Pudding (GF)





PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING
This bread pudding tastes best the next day.  I was planning on making a Pumpkin Cake Roll, but it totally cracked on me - in fact, a piece broke right off as I rolled it in the clean towel.  Waah - so what to do?  I decided to break up the cake and make Pumpkin Bread Pudding!  It was rather nice and a good save of the expensive ingredients.  Bread Pudding is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is definitely comfort food for those who do like it.  Most of the new recipes that I try, I manage to get right the first time around (mainly due to my bake mix making it easier, I think), however, every now and then something like this happens or I have to test a recipe one more time to perfect it. If I have to fight too much with a recipe, I usually give up - isn't that awful? I have been very blessed to be able to get things right the first time (usually but that was not the case when I was trying to find a nice bake mix - that was not easy!  I knew I had to persist though and Donna Hodach-Price really spurred me on.) - besides it would totally drive my husband crazy if I had even more baked goodies lying around from testing and re-testing. What made me mention this is someone else blogged about how much she tests and retests her recipes.  I got tired just reading the blog post.  Eeek!  That is not easy and I have to say she is amazingly patient that way and probably way more of a perfectionist than what I am.  Lately, I've been freezing baked goodies and taking them to my sons in the city.  This one didn't make it there.  It got eaten too quickly.  Besides, I don't think it would freeze well.  The custard part is my friend, Barbara Goldstein's recipe.  I'll share another bread pudding shortly that she made. :)

4 eggs
Liquid sucralose to equal 1 cup (250 mL)
  SPLENDA® Granular
2/3 cup canned pumpkin (150 mL)
11/4  cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (300 mL)
  page___
11/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (7 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
Bread Pudding Custard:
5 large eggs
1 cup Low-Carb Milk, page___ (250 mL)
1 cup heavy cream (250 mL)
Liquid sucralose to equal 1/2 cup (125 mL)
  SPLENDA® Granular
1/4 cup powdered erythritol (60 mL)
2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
1/4 tsp cinnamon for top (1 mL)

Line 15 x 10-inch (38 x 25 cm) jelly roll pan with wax paper.  Spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with a tiny amount of bake mix.

In food processor, or in bowl with electric mixer, process eggs 4 minutes on medium high speed.  While processing, gradually add liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular.  Add pumpkin; process on lower speed.

In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.  Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and process well. Pour over prepared pan and spread out evenly.  Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 15 minutes.  Invert cake onto clean tea towel.  Carefully remove wax paper. Cut cake into cubes as soon as cool enough to handle.

Bread Pudding Custard:  In medium bowl, beat eggs with fork.  Add Low-Carb Milk, page___, heavy cream, sucralose, erythritol and vanilla extract and whisk with fork.  Pour over pumpkin bread cubes.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.  Let mixture soak 1 hour.  Bake in oven 25 minutes.  If desired, serve with Delicious Pouring Custard, page___.

Yield:  18 servings
1 serving
122.6 calories
5.2 g protein
9.6 g fat
3.2 g carbs