THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Impossible Tuna Pie (GF)





 Easy as pie!  This pie forms its own crust with the topping. This tuna pie is fairly bland, so jazzing it up with a little hot sauce or mayonnaise will help if you find it is too bland.  I exchanged 1/4 cup of the Cheddar cheese for Parmesan cheese and I think that will definitely help give the pie more flavor.  I also increased the cream cheese by 1 oz, as I love that in there and wanted more of it.  If you buy one of those big cans of tuna from Costco, then you can make the tuna bake and this tuna pie and you'll be having tuna all week.  Not sure you want that!  LOL

2, 6 oz cans tuna in water, (170 g)
  drained
3/4  cup old Cheddar cheese, (175 mL)
  shredded
1/4  cup grated Parmesan cheese (60 mL)
4 oz cream cheese, diced (125 g)
1/4  cup chopped green onions (60 mL)
3/4  cup half-and-half cream (175 mL)
1/2  cup water (125 mL)
4 eggs
11/4  cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___ (300 mL)
3/4  tsp salt (3 mL)
1/2  tsp baking soda (2 mL)
1/8  tsp nutmeg (1 mL)

In medium bowl, combine tuna, Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese and green onions.  Place in greased 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie dish.

In blender, combine cream, water, eggs, Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, salt, baking soda and nutmeg.  Blend well.  Pour over tuna mixture.

Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven 30 minutes; cover with foil and bake another 15 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Yield:  8 servings
1 serving
312.3 calories
25.4 g protein
20.0 g fat
5.8 g carbs

5 comments:

Lizzy said...

I'd forgotten about these impossible pies...and how fabulous you could make a gluten free version. I have a feeling yours is better than one with Bisquick :)

Jennifer said...

Yes, I know, maybe we are dating ourselves? lol

Curry and Comfort said...

Jennifer this pie sounds so fantastic! I love to use tuna in savory dishes (not just tuna salad). I must try this. :) Thanks! Have a great weekend! ~ Ramona

Pegasuslegend said...

I love this, use to make it all the time with zucchini but tuna is the king for me of fish in any recipe got to try this one!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you provide here and can't
wait to take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even
using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!
Check out my web blog - http://safedietsthatwork.com/calories-burned-walking