THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Friday, December 16, 2011

Low-Carb Diets vs Standard Low-Calorie Diets -STUDY



Hmm, this was rather an interesting study, I thought.    Here is the article.  Both the low-carb diet variants (which were for only 2 days a week) did better than the low-calorie Mediterranean diet alone (7 days a week).  Interesting!  However, even more interesting is that it helped to keep calories in check with a low-carb diet as well - it was more effective.  Guess that makes sense!  What surprises me though is that 2 days of low-carbing was enough to lose weight.

However, one should be aware that there are low-carb Mediterranean diets by Dr. Steve Parker who wrote 2 books, the Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet and the Advanced Mediterranean Diet; now these diets are bound to be even better - i.e. low-carb and a Mediterranean diet combined - that is superior!

"Harvie and her colleagues compared three diets during four months for effects on weight loss and blood markers of breast cancer risk among 115 women with a family history of breast cancer. They randomly assigned patients to one of the following diets: a calorie-restricted, low-carbohydrate diet for two days per week; an "ad lib" low-carbohydrate diet in which patients were permitted to eat unlimited protein and healthy fats, such as lean meats, olives and nuts, also for two days per week; and a standard, calorie-restricted daily Mediterranean diet for seven days per week."

9 comments:

Ann said...

Very interesting! I'm off to read the article on the low-carb Mediterranean diet. I gotta have my pasta!

Curry and Comfort said...

I really should be following both. :) thanks for the articles. Have a great weekend. :)

Lizzy said...

I love when there's actually a comparison between a couple diet plans...seems like everyone claims theirs works best...it's hard to know what to believe!

Jennifer said...

Hey, Ann - you are doing well on your low-cal diet. If you find hunger is a problem then you will find the opposite with low-carbing. There is no hunger involved for most of us. If you ever want to try a low-carb diet for a period, you can have pasta. Dreamfields pasta tastes like the real thing! I can't use it anymore thanks to Ian not being able to have gluten, so I'm sorry about that....I sometimes use a little of the real high carb gluten-free quinoa and corn pasta, but very rarely as it is a cheat for us and typically can create cravings.

Jennifer said...

I know, Lizzy, however, you don't seem to have a problem with weight. You are fortunate.

Jennifer said...

You are welcome, Ramona. :) Remember of all the carbs, I think some rice actually is not too bad. My DH loses weight and eats rice most days but stays low-carb otherwise.

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Jennifer!

The results from the study you mention are encouraging for the low-carb community.

The way the study was set up would probably not hold up well in the real world. As I recall, the two days a week of very-low-calorie or low-carbing are pretty strict. The low-calorie day was about 650 cals, according to the reports I saw. That's not something I'd want to do very often; that's sounds about like intermittent fasting, really.

I look forward to full details of the study after they publish in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. That may take a year, unfortunately.

Anybody who wants to try a low-carb Mediterranean-style diet can go to my Diabetic Mediterranean Diet blog and pick up a fairly comprehensive (and free) outline on how to do it. (It's not just for diabetics.)

Merry Christmas to all!

-Steve

Jennifer said...

Ah, that makes sense Steve. Intermittent fasting definitely does work and if one does it a couple of days a week - that would ensure weight loss - especially at that calorie level.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you too. :)

low carb recipes said...

I have been on a low carb diet for 4 months now and have lost 50 lbs, with hardly any exercise. I feel great too, I would recommend anyone to try low carb diets!