THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Saturday, December 31, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!



Hi everyone - Happy New Year to you all.  May 2012 see all your New Year dreams come true.  What an amazing time we live in.  I can remember when we didn't have the internet and yet today I could not imagine my life without it!  I can remember a day when we didn't have TV - in fact, we only got TV in 1974 in South Africa - the year I graduated from high school.  I can remember simpler times and a time when I thought drugs were something you bought only in a pharmacy.  I can remember lots and lots about a simpler life than I lead today and definitely a slower pace than I lead today.  Do you think life has become more stressful with all our high-tech gadgets?  I mean I can remember a time without my Blackberry - not so long ago actually.  Now I would feel lost without it.  What did we do in the days before cell phones? - called home from a call box?  :)  What would I do without email or blogging?  Eeek!

Anyway, interesting times, more stressful perhaps, but interesting all the same and I wouldn't want it any different now that I'm used to it.  How about you?  What do you remember?  Would you want to turn the clock back with regard to some things?

12 comments:

Nancy said...

First, we graduated from hs the same year, 1974! Me in Ct in USA but still.... I do remember my mom would send us outside to play. Boy, I used my imagination, playing with friends or without but told to come home by dinner. Rode our bikes (put bubble gum cards in the spokes). When I played indoors I did not have many toys and used cardboard boxes for Barbie. Tinker toys to make up stories and build. Books to read late into the night but either they were bought (seldom) or borrowed from the library (occasionally. Remember the card catalogue? Yes, I love the internet and the feeling of being connected to others and the cell phone, too. Have not, and probably will not graduate to a tablet for my reading. Like to hold and carry a real book and go to our local library. They know me and are small so love to walk in and they know me and I know them. Blathered on too long, sorry.

Jennifer said...

LOL - yes I remember the bike rides (down hills without holding on to the handle bars!) and I do remember catalogue cards and libraries. Definitely. I was at the library almost every week. When I was a child, I loved the Famous Five stories, Secret Seven and all the Fairy Tales that came in condensed, large/thick books.

Penny said...

I remember calling our grandparents long distance when we were kids to stay in touch. Now I can Skype or video chat on my phone with my grandkids... It's way better than the old school phone calls of the past. I love technology!

I got my LC Among Friends cookbook and I love it.
Happy New Year!
Penny

buttoni said...

When I think of technological advances today, for me it's the microwave that has changed my life in the kitchen. I waited the longest time to break down and get one, but it sure does simplify reheating leftovers without drying them out onto the casserole dish. I could live without a cell phone, but without the internet, my recipe blog just would never exist. Sharing recipes has never been easier than since the internet and simple printers/copiers. Remember having to copy them onto cards to share? Man, did I ever get tired of people asking me to do that. Got to the point I would set folks down with my index cards and say "Copy away!"

Anne H said...

I once referred to my smart phone as my electronic ankle bracelet because it never lets me get more than a few steps away from it.... to THIS day, there are guys in the gym who actually think I was serious!
Happy 2012

Jennifer said...

Yes, Penny, you definitely have it easier than your grandparents in their day and so do I even although I'm still patiently waiting for grandchildren. So happy you like the new book. Yay! Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

Jennifer said...

Oh good point, Peggy - imagine the days without a microwave oven! In the old days, I had a friend that also finally said to me: "Copy it yourself from the index card!" LOL

Jennifer said...

Haha, Anne. Seriously?! ;) Happy New Year!

Ginny said...

I always thought I was born in the wrong time period. I thought I should have been born in the horse and buggy days, when life was hard work, but yet much simpler in so many ways... maybe less complicated is the word. But then I think of not having hot showers, or my computer, or my cellphone, or indoor bathrooms, or... well, I guess Once you have it, it's hard to give it up.

Have a great New Year Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

I used to think that I would have loved to wear pretty, long, romantic dresses, etc., but I would miss all those things you mentioned too, Ginny. Sounds like you have more of a pioneer spirit than I do. ;)

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

Happy new year and I will be looking forward for your delicious low carb and gluten free recipes.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Neetu! Happy New Year!