THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's in a Back Cover? And some Drama before a Jimmy Moore Interview!




This cookbook and the wonderful reception (better than I ever accomplished on my own even in the hey day of low-carbing) has got me seriously excited about producing a series of similar cookbooks and 2 volumes are planned for next year and maybe the year after that and the year after that!  Next year's books will most likely come out simultaneously in December 2012 or before. We have a couple more big players coming on board, plus a blog/internet friend of mine with loads of talent and good standing in the low-carb community.  There is room for one more player and in time who that will be will become clear to us.  Jonathan, our son, is learning the ropes of the publishing business from Ian and he is pretty excited as well.  He is the author of the 2 novels, Africa's Snow White, available on Amazon.com, plus he is writing a science fiction novel as well.

For now, to focus on this cookbook, Low-Carbing Among Friends:  The back cover speaks volumes about the Low-Carbing Among Friends team.  What a fun project this has been and working with the team members has been a good experience.  The thing about this book besides the obvious fact that there are 5 authors and 5 mini cookbooks, is that most of us have been low-carbing for a while, so we are bringing experience to the table and also the most innovative ways (and products!) of baking and cooking low-carb and gluten-free.  For instance, when I began low-carbing in 1998, we didn't have access to coconut flour or peanut flour (a few recipes use this), but also there was nothing much out there to "copy".  Now we've learned from our own experience and also from being a part of a large low-carb community.  This community is like a family and we share recipes and ideas all the time!  Low-carbing has evolved and many are jumping ship from Atkins to Paleo - there are some differences, the main one being that some variations of Paleo disallow dairy.  People say that more fruit is allowed on the Paleo way of eating.  I've never allowed Atkins to limit me in that regard.  Certainly there is a fruit rung and also a grains rung, for that matter.  Since Paleo is a gluten-free diet, it is with great pleasure that I can say that many of the recipes will be fine for that diet as well, however, substitutes for dairy products will sometimes be needed.

This morning I had an interview about the new cookbook with Jimmy Moore (airing November 14th - the book will be shipping by then).  Actually Ian and I were both interviewed at the same time.  I love it that Ian comes on the interviews with me.  It's tough to talk for 45 minutes on my own, but my dear hubby has the gift of the gab!

Before the interview, which was to be at 11:00 am EST and 10:00 am our time - there was some drama though.  I took Smiley for a walk in Happy Glen (so-named for our precious Happy who passed away about 2 years ago now) along the river.  As we turned around to go home, a big, black Doberman Pincher came running up towards Smiley and me.  I crouched down near a rivulet that enters the bigger river and cradled Smiley, trying to protect him.  My back was to the dog and the Doberman bit me on my back!  Fortunately, he got my dress, ripped it, and just scraped his teeth on my skin.  Anyway, my pretty dress (and a favorite one) is a right off! While that was happening, a second dog - a big white lab came running up and by now Smiley had wriggled free from my arms and out of his collar and off the leash!  It looked like a dog fight was ensuing with the black dog, however, the white lab wanted to play with Smiley!  I was still badly frightened, grabbed the bear spray, removed the pin and ran after the dogs, yelling for Smiley the whole time!  What a circus!  The owner came and sort of managed to calm his dogs down while I threatened to spray 'em.  Oh dear!  Anyway all my screaming brought hubby running down the hill from the house in his silly crocs (you know those shoes? Dangerous things and outrageously ugly in my opinion!), but thankfully he didn't fall.  I got cleaned up at home, changed, disinfected the spot where the dog got me (not terrible) and now there were 20 minutes left before the Jimmy Moore interview.  Eek!  I was in a horrible state, hair all over the place, shaking all over and angry with the guy and his dogs.  Imagine if I had been a little kid running and screaming - that dog's instincts would have made it run after the child and maybe cause a serious injury!  I have no time for that sort of irresponsibility on the behalf of dog owners.  Almost everyone thinks mistakenly that their dogs would not hurt anyone.  Anyway, one small drink later (Ian insisted!) and a prayer and we were chatting to Jimmy.  Considering that the electricity also decided to go out and we had to put the generator on for the interview...considering all those things, surely the only way now was up?  The interview went well, thankfully.  Jimmy is a funny character and tends to put a person at ease.  First of all when he skypes one, this face of Jimmy pulling a funny face with a cell phone comes up on the screen.  Haha!

22 comments:

Tina said...

What chaos ensued before that interview! I remember when a dog came after mine, after the incident I called the police-I was irate. Your hubby and his crocs-I have some I use to walk in the dirt and mud. They are about the ugliest things though, not to be seen in.
Glad you made it to the interview and it went well.
Also, thanks for your nice comment on my blog! Have a great day.

Jennifer said...

Yep, chaos is right! Geesh! Yes, I'm happy too that I managed to somehow pull myself together just before the interview.

Thanks, hope your day is great too!

arlene said...

Oh my goodness! So happy you are OK. I hope you got an apology from the owner of the dog, and I hope you can identify him to the proper authorities. Did he offer to pay for your dress, at the very least? My daughter in law had something similar happen recently, and the owner was very rude to her, though her pants were torn and she was bleeding from being knocked down.

I can't wait to listen to the interview. Great news about the cookbook. Can't wait to see it!

RVcook said...

WOW...all that drama and you STILL managed to do the interview??? You definitely have it together and obviously take your responsibilities V-E-R-Y seriously...lol!

I love the design of the book and all the people you were able to bring on board PROVE that a low carb lifestyle is NOT...I repeat; NOT a passing fad! I for one am very happy that it has evolved into something more mainstream and has found a brand new following...especially among those that are leaning toward paleo. Congrats Jen; you are a driving force in shaping this new chapter of gluten free low carb cooking.

Ginny said...

Oh my goodness Jennifer! What a time! I've had a huge german shepherd look like he wants to come after me a few times in our neighborhood but thankfully the owner seems to have control and keeps him on a leash. I'm glad you were ok and you made it for the interview. You must have been exhausted after all that!

The book is looking great! I can't wait to get my copy! :)

Vanessa said...

So glad you weren't seriously hurt. One question, do you always wear dresses? Seems like every picture I have seen of you, you are wearing one. I started wearing more dresses this summer and liked feeling a little more fancy! ;)

Jennifer said...

Hi Arlene - Ian actually went to the man's house and he did pay for my dress. So, that was decent of him. Ian also asked him to park his car at the entrance to Happy Glen in future - so that I am at least warned that he is walking his dogs and I can turn around when I see the car.

Jennifer said...

LOL Donna! I do take it seriously - absolutely - too many people can be affected if I don't.

Definitely things are evolving in the low-carb world. Paleo is a little bit different; don't think I want to give up my dairy - cheese and cream cheese and yogurt, etc. in a hurry though. Still they are gluten-free and one of the books will have a Paleo author next year. So, that's pretty much becoming mainstream too - and there is a good overlap with low-carbing, Atkins-style.

Jennifer said...

Wow, Ginny, do be careful. I am so afraid of big dogs and today didn't help!

Ann said...

Wow - I'm glad you're okay! What a scary thing to happen! It's amazing how chaos happens on the most important days!

Carolyn said...

Oh my gosh, Jennifer, I am glad you are okay!

mac24312 said...

WOW Jennifer! SO glad you all are ok! I cannot wait to get the book! So glad to see my LC cookbook friends coming out with this one and many more! :) Keep up the great work!! Without you all I would have not been where I am today in the WOL! :)

Thank You!
Christina Gallimore

Jennifer said...

I couldn't believe it, Ann - even as it was all unfolding so quickly in front of my eyes. A similar thought did race through my mind.

Jennifer said...

Vanessa - hi, yes I'm a little eccentric (a lot?) that way, I guess. I'm a real dress girl these days (I wasn't in Canada as much), mainly because these Hawaiian-style Princess dresses (pretty cotton dresses in a romantic, feminine style) are so comfortable in this very hot (especially in the city), humid climate. I dress them all up differently but they are the same style. I know I am weird but I don't look great in most dresses (I'm a bit top heavy and have always been). I do wear pants sometimes and people always say I look good in them and skinnier (the lower half of my body is very much more streamlined than the top half). However, it's not enough to make me wear them daily and feel hot and uncomfortable.

I wear pants on a few special occasions these days. It's silly - I should mix it up a bit more. It's also laziness. I can grab a dress and don't have to think too deeply about what goes with what! I've got a ton of dresses. lol I said I was eccentric or is that strange? I don't see tons of people all the time so I don't much care. I've never been one to follow fashion too much. I've always done my own thing and I like to look good, but comfort is a big thing for me too.

Jennifer said...

Thanks Carolyn and Christina. :)

buttoni said...

OMG Jennifer, what an awful prelude to your interview! I had that happen to me one time when I was walking my two little 15# rat terriers. A huge dog managed to open the latched cedar fence gate of his yard and barking aggressively came charging at us. I scooped up one dog in each arm and turned my back and walked/nearly ran the opposite direction as fast as I could. Scared the ever loving baloney out of me. But this dog was actually friendly and just stopped barking and went back into his yard. No biting thank the Lord.

I'm so sorry such a thing happened and I think I'd do an official report on the incident so the appropriate officials have a word with the man. Surely if screaming an loud growling/barking occurred, more neighbors witnessed this and he won't know who brought it to their attention. Here, a human bite requires by law a vet or official require rabies testing on the animals.

Jennifer said...

Well, Peggy, I think you kept it together better than I did! In hindsight, I should have let Smiley go and then let them snarl or whatever and sort it out. Instead I panicked and screamed and probably made things 10x worse - and perhaps if I had not overreacted the dog would not have freaked out and bitten me.

Thing is when Happy, our other dog, was a tiny puppy, a Malamute attacked him and tried to kill him, so I was very traumatized by that experience - and ever since I've almost always overreacted when there are dogs coming for my dog.

Jennifer said...

P.S. No neighbors near enough to hear me.

Eftychia said...

I am so sorry to hear you had a dog attacking you, but I am glad that you were not seriously injured. I hope everything goes well with the book. I am sure though, that you will do a fantastic job!

Jennifer said...

I'm doing my best, Eftychia. Right at the end now...

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

Oh my goodness. You handled this very well...I don't know what I would have done.

Jennifer said...

It was not so easy but I simply had to pull myself together in a hurry.