THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How to Make Yogurt the Easy Way!




HOW TO MAKE YOGURT
This easy recipe is one I use most often these days.  1 cup of plain yogurt is about 4 grams of carbohydrate.  There are many good reasons to consume yogurt.  Just type yogurt in my blog search box and you'll see what I mean.  Also, why not try frozen yogurt if you're not wild about yogurt - for a real treat.  Here is my favorite recipe.  For a super-quick frozen yogurt treat, in food processor  with metal S-blade begin with frozen strawberries; process.  Add yogurt, a bit of cream and sweetener until you have the right consistency and sweetness.  You can even add a frozen banana if you're doing moderate low-carbing.  Enjoy!

41/2 cups whole milk (1.13 L)
1/3 cup plain yogurt, OR (75 mL)
  a bit more (one small container of yogurt)
1 tsp sugar (5 mL) - for milder taste - divided by 7 servings. (optional - could use Splenda or preferred sweetener but I have not tried that)

In large pot, pour milk and bring to boil - just as it starts to climb the side of the pot.  Allow milk to cool to lukewarm or room temperature.  Pour some milk into a clean pouring jug.  Stir in yogurt and sugar, until sugar dissolves.  Add to the pot and whisk well.  Pour some of milk mixture into pouring jug and fill 7 clean glass jars with mixture. Place in yogurt maker (without lids). Leave overnight.  It takes about 8 hours for whole milk and longer for 2% or skim milk.  If you leave the yogurt too long, it will become quite sour.

Helpful Hints:  The taste and texture of yogurt varies according to the milk and yogurt starter selected.  Also do not move the appliance during the maturing process or this will affect the firmness of the yogurt.

23 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

I've never tried to make my own yogurt. It looks easy.

Ann said...

There are a ton of benefits for yogurt and Greek yogurt seems to be a culinary "go to" food now. I've never made my own - I think it's wonderful that you do!

Jennifer said...

It is very easy. Yogurt is so good for you. I like to have some in the refrigerator at all times.

Jennifer said...

Ann, I make my own yogurt as I was spending a fortune buying it (maybe $50 a month).

Jennifer said...

P.S. I gave sons a yogurt maker and they are now going to make their own as well.

Janknitz said...

The sugar is NOT necessary-- milk already contains lactose to feed the good bacteria.

I make yogurt out of heavy whipping cream--delicious!

Tina said...

I will need to tally up how much I spend on yogurt so see if a maker is worthwhile. However, the idea of homemade does sound divine and healthy.

Lisa, motyok said...

I make more than a gallon at a time and use canning jars with my heating pad in an old Styrofoam cooler. One less gadget for the kitchen. Sealed yogurts keeps a long time, so I don't have to make it so often.

Jennifer said...

I love my homemade yogurt, Tina. I usually make frozen yogurt out of it, but sometimes I eat it sweetened with some fruit.

Jennifer said...

I know, Lisa, I envy your setup.

Jennifer said...

Jan, I agree, I should put the sugar as optional. I like my yogurt to be very mild in taste and find that tiny bit of sugar helps with that - spread over 7 servings - minimal. Try and divide a tsp of sugar into 7 parts.

Eftychia said...

It really sounds so easy to make. Can I use low fat milk in this recipe?

Jennifer said...

Yes, Eftychia, you need to increase the time for skim milk up to 12 hours.

RVcook said...

My husband LOVES yogurt and eats it just about every night! While we were on the road, I used to make it in a thermos which worked really well. Once we settled, I bought a used yogurt maker for $5...TOTALLY worth the money! To save time, I freeze the store-bought, fat-free yogurt in mini ice cube trays so when it's time to make yogurt, I just defrost the right number of cubes which takes just about as long to defrost as the milk takes to cool down. It works splendidly :)

Jennifer said...

Yogurt is so good for us. So great that your hubby loves yogurt so much. So does Ian and he also eats it every night. Haha. ;)

What a great idea!

Juliana said...

How cool making your won yogurt...love it!
Hope you are having a fantastic week and thanks for the post Jennifer :-)

Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style said...

Easy, healthy, delicious, inexpensive! Have you tried making yogurt with goat milk or sheep's milk? I bet they turn out heavenly. This is a must try.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Juliana, my week has been busy but good. :) Hope yours is good too.

Jennifer said...

Viviane, you are a fancier cook than I am for sure. It is unlikely I will try those. ;)

RVcook said...

And if anyone likes Greek style, simply drain the yogurt overnight by lining a mesh strainer with cheesecloth. In the morning, discard the whey and whip the thick, creamy yogurt until smooth. Delicious!

Jennifer said...

That's a great idea, Donna! :)

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

What an interesting process. I would have never considered to make my own at home but love the concept. I would much rather make as much at home as I can rather than buying it pre-packaged. This sounds great!

Jennifer said...

It's lovely, Cassie. Saves money and we eat yogurt almost every day for its health benefits and weight loss benefits.