THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Artisan Sesame Hamburger Buns (GF)




ARTISAN SESAME HAMBURGER BUNS
Great for hamburgers, tuna burgers or anything you would normally put on a bun.  This is a substantial bun and very bread-like.  I have yet to experiment with yeast breads that are gluten-free and low-carb.  Until then, the breads I have come up with recently will almost always be lower in carbs.  This is a fairly neutral-tasting bun and is based on my sandwich bread recipe.  We love it!  See the helpful hints as to why I gave alternate amounts in two spots.

These buns keep my husband satiated for hours.  He typically has only one at a sitting but even if he has more, there have been no adverse consequences on his weight loss.  At the same time, I have also lost weight eating my gluten-free baked goods. I have always lost weight with difficulty but this time it's been a breeze.  :)

Hope this recipe will make life even more enjoyable on a low-carb and gluten-free diet.  Remember the glycemic load is what counts, not just the individual glycemic index or carb count of individual ingredients. My Splendid Gluten-free bake mix is quite low in carbs and quite acceptable in most recipes.  Obviously it is not for people on Induction but for people following a more moderate low-carb diet, which is what I prefer due to hypothryoidism.  Going too low-carb, I don't feel well and I can't keep it up for long.  At any rate I am almost at goal weight, so I lose easily on this bake mix and my husband who is truly intolerant of wheat and gluten is losing weight very nicely and should soon be at goal. The total carbs per serving is what counts and ask yourself, does it have wheat or gluten in it?  The wheat or gluten is what keeps those of us intolerant of it hungrier and less successful on a low-carb diet.  The small amount of oat flour in my bake mix has been proven to be heart healthy (helps reduce cholesterol) and is far from the wheat family.  It does not have the same properties and is gluten-free (only in facilities that also process wheat can some contamination occur, but usually it is very small and fine for those of us who are merely intolerant.)  If you have Celiac disease, then use the certified gluten-free oat flour from Bob's Red Mill or use an alternate gluten-free flour.  

How do you like the hamburger meal?  That was my hubby's meal the other day.  The Crispy Potato Skins are here on my blog. They make a great substitute for fries.  I didn't picture the diet coke I gave my hubby as well.  There was one thing seriously missing and dear hubby picked up on it.  Can you guess what it was?

The BACON! 

An IMPROVED VERSION?  You be the judge. :)

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
21/4 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix*, (560 mL)
  page___ 
1/4 cup almond flour, OR* (60 mL)
  almond meal
11/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)
Glaze:
1 egg white
1 tsp water (5 mL)
Toasted Sesame Seed Topping:
3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted (45 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 2 nonstick muffin top pans (with 6 large forms each).  In food processor with sharp blade or in large bowl with mixer, process cream cheese.  Add eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract; process well on low speed.  In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, almond flour, OR almond meal, baking powder and baking soda. Add to cream cheese mixture and process until thickened.  Add cheese and process until incorporated.  Place 2 level ice cream scoopfuls in each form (use a spoon to scoop out the dough).  Using a frosting knife, smooth the surfaces and shape the buns. 

Glaze:  In small bowl, whisk egg white and water really well with a fork.  Using a pastry brush (or clean paint brush used for kitchen purposes), brush the tops of the buns (being careful not to go over the circumference).  Repeat once more.

Toasted Sesame Seed Topping:  In dry nonstick pan, toast sesame seeds over medium heat.  Stir while toasting and keep an eye on them as they burn quickly.  Sprinkle buns with toasted sesame seeds. 

Bake in oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool and refrigerate; keep a few out as their texture changes in the refrigerator.  Nuke refrigerated buns briefly or toast them to enjoy again.

Helpful Hints:  *Use 2 cups (500 mL) Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___ and  1/2 cup (125 mL) almond meal, OR almond flour for a slightly lower carb and lower calorie bun and make 2 extra buns (14 buns). If you do not have muffin top pans, line a large cookie sheet with foil and grease well.  Drop the dough onto the foil. Proceed as above.  You can slice these buns into 3 pieces for toasting.

Yield:   12/14 buns
1 bun/alternate amounts*
323.2/277.8 calories
14.6/12.6 g protein
26.2/22.7 g fat
6.0/4.8 g carbs

For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!

26 comments:

Laura said...

One question. Is the alternative to the bake mix 2 1/4 cups almond flour or just 2 cups?

Bridget said...

Could you clarify what the substitutions are? I'm really confused with all the "OR" in the recipe.

~Oct said...

Thank you for this recipe. The Artisan Sesame hamburger buns look beautiful and so low carb! I appreciate the extra tips and info too. Congrats to both you and your husband for almost getting to goal. I hope that doesn't mean your recipes will go away. :)

Ginny said...

Looks wonderful Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry you guys, I will change the recipe and make it more clear. Please let me know if it is still confusing after that. I appreciate the feedback a LOT! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Do you think these will freeze well? thnx

Jennifer said...

Oct - I will still be adding recipes. It's a lifestyle. ;)

Jennifer said...

I think they would freeze well, but I'm just guessing. Good question. I should try that. I would wrap them individually and tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. If you use an airtight container, that would be good too. If you use a plastic bag, make sure most of the air is out.

Reason we have not frozen them is that they last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator and between my hubby and I, we have no trouble finishing them. We use them for all sorts of things - for butter and for toasting and sandwiches or whatever.

Jennifer said...

Hey, Ginny, I almost missed your comment. Thanks! :)

Carolyn said...

Jennifer, you are a genius. Hamburger buns on a low carb diet? Who woulda thunk it?

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Carolyn, nice of you to say that. You are indeed a sweetie. I do actually have hamburger buns for low-carbing - this is the first time I've had real success with low-carb and also gluten-free buns. Easy enough to make low-carb, gluten-filled buns or bread (and with yeast) - but gluten-free and low-carb, that is a tough challenge. I'm not sure how many people realize that.

Christine's Pantry said...

I've never made hamburger buns. Great recipe.

Kim Bee said...

Wow these are incredible. And gluten free, how wonderful. You really knocked this one out of the park.

buttoni said...

Those look real good, Jennifer. Look forward to trying these. :)

Bridget said...

Thanks for the revised instructions, it is much less confusing now!

Jennifer said...

LOL Kim - you have such a delightful way of talking! Thanks.

Christine, it's easy to make hamburger buns. If you have a bread machine, use your normal bread recipe and take it out after the first rise. Shape into buns. Put into an oven that has been heated to 190 deg. F. and switched off. Allow to rise about 30 min. Leave in and switch oven on to 350 deg. F. Bake about 20 minutes or until buns are golden in color.

Jennifer said...

Ah, Peggy, I hope you do. ((HUGS))

You're welcome, Bridget. I'm glad you said something. In hindsight, I can see how confusing it was. :)

Erin said...

Love the idea of making your own buns! So much better than the soft mushy store bought ones!

Tiffany said...

These look great! Love the sesame seeds for extra crunch and nutrition!

rede4nw said...

Wow, Jennifer! These look fantastic and it is hard to believe you got them gluten free as well. You have such skill at finding just the right ingredients set to not just achieve low carb but a "real" taste of the original in your creations. Thanks for your hard work and congrats on your close to goal achievements! Taste testing makes that even more laudable...LOL

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Tiffany.

Jennifer said...

I agree, Erin. It is just the convenience factor that one misses but if one has the bake mix ready - it's not so time-consuming to put the buns in the oven. :) I grind my own almonds most of the time, but these buns are even lovelier with almond flour, and, of course, it is so convenient and quick to throw the bake mix together then.

You are very sweet, Red. Thank you very much. :)

Mitochondri-Allie said...

I baked these today and had a pulled pork sandwich, they are very filling! They turned out beautifully, I love that I has cream cheese and shredded cheese in them, delicious.

Jennifer said...

Thank you, M-Allie. :) Happy you enjoyed it. You are right. They are very filling and they satiate for hours.

Anonymous said...

These sound great but is there anything with less calories?? I can't afford 322 for one muffin.

Jennifer said...

If you can have gluten, check out the Wholegrain Bread recipe - I think you'll also find it if you hit the End key - amongst the more popular posts. You can make buns out of that bread - fewer calories, I believe.

Otherwise, I have to say that when I have a whole bun (sometimes only a half or I divide it in 3), I skip supper - it is that satiating. Super! You don't feel hungry.