THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Friday, August 26, 2011

Coconut Curried Shrimp (GF)




COCONUT CURRIED SHRIMP
I was very hungry one day and didn’t have the patience to look up a recipe for the beautiful, large, precooked shrimp that I had in the freezer!  I grabbed a can of coconut milk in the pantry and the rest is history.  This was a wonderful, flavorful meal and quite hearty.

1.5 lbs large frozen shrimp, (0.68 kg)
  precooked and with tails on
3 tbsp light-tasting olive oil (45 mL)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 tsp minced garlic (10 mL)
2 tbsp mild curry powder (30 mL)
1/4 tsp seasoning salt (1 mL)
1/4 tsp No Salt (1 mL)
3/4 cup coconut milk (175 mL)
2 tbsp raisins, optional (30 mL)

In colander and under running, cold water, thaw shrimp.  Drain and remove tails from shrimp.  Set aside.

In large saucepan, heat oil and add onion.  Stir fry onion until getting soft and add the garlic.  Stir fry until onion is tender.  Stir in curry powder, seasoning salt and No Salt.  Add coconut milk gradually, while stirring.  Add raisins if using. Bring to the boil.  Add shrimp and while stirring cook until heated through.  Serve over Cauli-FriedRice, page___, if desired.

Yield:   3 servings
1 serving
498.3 calories
48.2 g protein
30.1 g fat
7.9 g carbs

For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!

17 comments:

Tina said...

I have made coconut shrimp, but the addition of a curry sauce does sound tasty. Your pictures are making me hungry. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Jennifer said...

LOl Tina - time to go make one of your yummy meals.

Claire said...

Mmm curry & coconut sound great. I'm not a shrimp fan so I might try this on chicken. I bet it would still taste good!

Ginny said...

Can't do the shrimp but I bet this would be good with chicken also. I may give it a try. :)

Jennifer said...

Hey, I can't believe there are people that don't like shrimp, but there are two people right here. lol Yes, I'm sure it would be good with chicken, Claire and Ginny!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

Yum! What is it about coconut that just goes with shrimp?! This sounds awesome!

Ann said...

Wow - for not wanting to research a recipe, you certainly came up with a winner!

I thought you'd like to know that my girlfriend, who I sent your blog info on, has purchased everything needed to make your low-carb bread.

When we met for coffee this morning, she said she reads your blog regularly, but she's shy and doesn't comment!

Jennifer said...

Oh, Ann, I wish your girlfriend would not be shy. I love getting comments, just like any blogger. We need the encouragement to continue. Blogging is hard work!

Pegasuslegend said...

I have never tried curried, have heard how delish it is you now gave me a reason looks like a winner for sure! thanks!

Jennifer said...

Cassie - it's true. Coconut goes really well with shrimp. Maybe because coconut is tropical and shrimp reminds one of the Tropics.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Claudia - hope you try it. It's a good combo - coconut and curry and shrimp.

Lucy said...

Well you can guess what we're having for dinner tonight!LOL! I have the coconut milk, just need the shrimp (not to crazy about curry though).

Jennifer said...

Hi Lucy. My curry powder is very mild so it just gives the sauce robustness, fullness and some flavor and color - also thickens the sauce. Don't want it bland and watery. I think one could use spiced masala instead - saw a recipe like that on the internet.

Eftychia said...

From tomorrow I am going to be on a diet. Your recipes will help a lot! Thanks once more for a delicious and easy to make recipe...

Jennifer said...

Eftychia, it sounds like you might be going on a low-carb diet. Feel free to contact me anytime. My email is in my profile. Blessings, Jennifer

Ann said...

This sounds delicious! I'm allergic to both shrimp AND curry - but I love them both....

Jennifer said...

Wow, that's rough to have those allergies. I have some that are rough as well since I suffer from migraines but I'm getting a handle on them - just have to figure out what I'm allergic to as well. Chocolate is one of them, strawberries another....some of my favorite foods. It's tough!