THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Monday, August 29, 2011

Caramel Cheesecake (GF)


 CARAMEL CHEESECAKE
The filling for this cheesecake is topnotch and the topping is absolutely delicious!  I served this yesterday to my husband (who just returned from a business trip to the States) and my sons who fetched him at the airport and brought him back up the mountain.  Just before the boys left, I gave them each some cheesecake and they raved about it.  Jonathan thought it was my best cheesecake yet!  Pretty high praise as I think I've made almost fifty million cheesecakes so far in my lifetime.  LOL  Love 'em and they are the perfect low-carb dessert, I think.  However, calories are high with cheesecakes, so do keep that in mind. To reduce calories, you can substitute some Philadelphia light cream cheese (not cream cheese spread though) but not the nonfat variety (ugh - nasty stuff).

Almond Crust:
2/3  cup ground almonds (150 mL)
2 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (30 mL)
2 tbsp vanilla whey protein (30 mL)
3 tbsp butter, melted (45 mL)
1 egg yolk
Filling:
3, 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened (750 g)
3 eggs, room temperature (if possible)                
Liquid sucralose to equal 1 cup (250 mL)
  SPLENDA® Granular
1/cup powdered erythritol (125 mL)
1/cup sour cream (60 mL)
1/cup whipping cream (60 mL)
Caramel Topping, page___  (see recipe below)

Almond Crust:  Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  In medium bowl, combine ground almonds, SPLENDA® Granular and vanilla whey protein.  Stir in butter and egg yolk.  Prepare 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick springform pan for water bath.  Wrap foil up the sides of the springform pan (you’ll need two big sheets).  Sprinkle crust mixture in pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and press crust out evenly; remove plastic wrap.  Bake 10 minutes or until turning brown at edges.

Filling:  In food processor with sharp blade, blender or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese until smooth.  Add eggs; process.  Add sucralose, powdered erythritol, sour cream and whipping cream.  Process until smooth.  Pour cheesecake batter over baked crust. Place springform pan in larger pan and pour boiling water in it and about an inch (2.5 cm) up the sides of the springform pan.  Be careful when transferring to oven.   Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 40 minutes.  Switch oven off, open oven door slightly and allow cheesecake to continue to cook 30 minutes more. Set pan on wire rack. When cooled completely to room temperature, pour Caramel Topping over top   Cover and refrigerate.  Run sharp knife around edge of pan, loosen the spring siding and serve.

Caramel Topping:  Prepare as directed on page___.

Helpful Hints:  If you prefer a more substantial crust, then double the ingredients.  Caramel Topping can also be prepared just before serving and poured over cold cheesecake.  Refrigerate 10 minutes or longer and serve.

Yield:  12/16 servings
1 serving
383.3/286.7 calories
12.8/9.6 g protein
34.8/26.1 g fat
4.6/3.4 g carbs


CARAMEL TOPPING
This topping is for the Caramel Cheesecake, page___. (above)
Caramel Sauce:
1/cup granulated erythritol (125 mL)
1 tsp molasses (5 mL)
1/cup whipping cream (125 mL)
2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
Caramel Topping:
1/cup vanilla whey protein (125 mL)
2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
2 tbsp whole milk, OR skim milk powder (30 mL)
1/tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)

Caramel Sauce:  In nonstick saucepan, combine erythritol and molasses over medium heat until erythritol dissolves and bubbles.  Remove from heat and stir in cream and butter.  Stir until smooth.  Return to heat and boil until caramel is bubbling up and golden brown.  Let cool 2 minutes.

Caramel Topping:  In blender, combine Caramel Sauce, vanilla whey protein, butter, whole milk, OR skim milk powder and vanilla extract.  Blend until smooth.

Helpful Hint:  This Caramel Topping should be plenty thick enough but, if not, you can add 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) xanthan gum to blender and blend.

Yield:  12/16 servings
1 serving
91.7/68.8 calories
3.6/2.7 g protein
7.9/5.9 g fat
1.9/1.4 g carbs


32 comments:

Ann said...

This looks delicious! I like the almond crust....delish!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Ann. Almond crusts are so good with cheesecakes; I have some that mimic a graham cracker crust.

Pegasuslegend said...

I hope no one saw me lick this screen! Wow that looks amazing!

Jennifer said...

Haha ;)

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

Caramel is my fave. This cheesecake looks perfect. I'm drooling!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Cassie. I can't believe how quickly we finished it!

Juliana said...

Wow Jennifer, this cheesecake looks great with caramel...even better being low calorie. Like the idea of using almond for crust.
Hope you have a fantastic week :-)

Jennifer said...

It's not quite low calorie, Juliana. The calories can be lowered by using light cream cheese.

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness, this is a match made in heaven! Sweet + creamy = I want some! :D

Jennifer said...

Hi Tiffany - I wish I could say come for tea and I'll serve you some.

Kathleen said...

Can't wait to try it. Thanks.

Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style said...

Oh my... Cheese and caramel?! You've got me salivating!

Philis said...

Hi dear Jennifer,
This is not the proper spot to tell you this as the subject is not this fabulous looking dessert of the day.

I finally made your chocolate chip cookies with the new mix and they were soooo good. So much better than the just almond flour variety of cookies. I never thought it would get better than that.

I am so glad for creative ones like you that think outside the box and are willing to test & test & test & have multiple failures to come up "the overnight successful recipe".

I finally tried splenda granular encouraged by your posts - after all these years of being afraid of it from the many warnings by others. But because even erythitol & xylitol are not good for my body I HAD to try. Thus, I did not add the erythitol, (just some powered stevia with the splenda) & they came out kinda of crispy which surprised me as i was expecting soft cookies. Is that due to splenda working differently? If I wanted soft I could probably add a t. of agave, but then I thought I have wanted cripy cookies for so long (i.e. the store bought cookies with cream filling (vanilla or choc. oreos) So now I may have found the trick to crispy cookies. Or were yours also that way using the erythitol & molasses? (I also did not use the molasses).

Been meaning to write this the last few days so stopping to do so before going out.

By the way you seem to live in an idyllic place with all those beautiful creatures being your neighbors. We have it pretty good in lovely Bonita Springs, FL but the natural beauty surrounding you is incredible.

I will have to read your sons book yet to find out what life has been like in Africa and how you met your husband. Whether he was native or you had him imported. :)

Many kind grateful thoughts from our home to yours.

Philis

Amy said...

Jennifer this looks so delicious! I love cheesecake, but top it off with caramel and it is even more heavenly!

Jennifer said...

Lol Viviane.

Amy, thanks - you are right - topped with caramel makes it that much better.

Jennifer said...

Hi Philis, That is interesting outcome you had. I think the molasses makes the cookies softer and that's why I refrigerate or freeze them. Thanks for noting that without it, they are crunchy cookies.

Even better than Splenda Granular is Nevella if you can find it. It is Splenda but with probiotics added. Awesome!

Ian was native to South Africa as was I. :) Such a beautiful country and it was very sad to leave it behind and so much of our history. We try to keep it alive by watching Afrikaans television shows at night to keep our culture alive for us as well as our second language. :)

I suspect where you live is equally as pretty in many ways. Florida is a lovely State. Fancy that - Half Spanish name. Boy, I am learning Spanish but very slowly as I am so busy with other things at the moment. I will get back to it.

Jonathan's books are now available on Kindle, I think. He will be writing more on that subject but for the moment has switched his genre. It's been an interesting life but with a lot of sadness as well - a LOT! Still, have lots to be thankful for.

Thanks for your kind words. :) ((HUGS))

Jennifer said...

You're welcome, Kathleen. Hope you get a chance to try it. It's good.

Philis said...

Boo Hoo. I hate to say this Jennifer, but I had the same effects the last couple of days with splenda as with erythitol & xylitol. Since you said it does not add bulk, (I thought the granular might have) I am thinking of trying to use only stevia powder with a tiny bit of perhaps honey, agave, or maple. Can only try to see if edible. Or maybe palm sugar, but have not liked that taste very well. Really want to use VERY little sugar. Any suggestions? Is Sucarant better?

Jennifer said...

Philis, are you using the gluten-free bake mix? Are you getting an upset tummy? You might be blaming the wrong things. Xylitol will cause that. Splenda and erythritol - very, very rarely, I'm sure. However, there are ingredients in the gluten-free bake mix that might be catching your tummy. The xanthan gum for one, the coconut flour, for another, and even the oat flour can be problematic for some folks. You will need to think about that. Also, there alternatives for some of these things. Sorry you having a problem. Maria (see my links) is using a new sweetener - made with chicory/inulin but it is fiber, again. Just not sure what you're talking about - tummy issues or blood sugar issues. Agave is bad news. The others are plain sugar. I don't know what sucarant is. Some people love whey low - apparently low on the glycemic index and okay for diabetics? I am skeptical. You can do a search for it on my blog and you can read about it.

Philis said...

All the alternative things seem to cause gas. Embarrassed to say. Erythitol not as much as xylitol. Chicory root I tried too. Very negative results. I have been gluten free for about 3 years.
Used buckwheat for substitution for your Focaccia bread originally, but could not resist trying the oat when you came out with the toast. So good. We love both oat & buckwheat in your mix. I like oat best & husband likes buckwheat best. Not one of these flours or alternatives to sugar muscle test well & the sugars show it very noticeably.

Fortunately I do not eat much at a time. Your recipes gave temptation to try the oat mix too as knew that would taste more nomal for cookies (& wanted to try the toast recipe with it.

There is a lab now, perhaps you have heard of it (Cyrex) that does what is considered the gold testing standard for gluten. They also have a test for about 20 foods that can be cross reactive. Buckwheat & Oats are tested. (As well as coffee & chocolate). I do not test well with muscle testing for any of these things.

Everyday, I have 2 or 3 squares of 85% chocolate that is lower carb than many (Vivani). Delicious. I use this chocolate as my tool not to make the sweets usually.

I probably should take the cross reactive test but have not. Afraid of the results and further restrictions. But probably best to know.

Sorry to write so much. Have tried lots of things. Know most of it does not test well or digest well, but do not know how bad really is for me or if OK in moderation.

The Xanthan gum is in the bread mix & did not notice physical problem eating bread though may be unseen things going on.

Guessing game for me.

It would be best just to eat low carb with no treats or breads but...

Sorry to take up so much space & time but wanted to answer as well as I was able to your thoughtful response.

Jennifer said...

Hmm, sometimes the flora can get upset due to antibiotics or whatever. I would suggest and I'm not a doctor, but this is what has helped me in the past. Do have yogurt daily, even an acidophilus supplement as well and Saccaromyces boulardii + Mos. The last one helped me after I went on clindomycin and had a big problem with C-dificil. It helped me come right again. Also, sometimes does not hurt to go on a course of, I forget, I think it is Diflucan for yeast and Flagyl for fixing the intestines.

Either way the yogurt and acidophilus will help but there are others as well - I don't know the names but you can look up on the internet what homeopathic-type doctors recommend. You'll probably find that when the flora are balanced that your allergies to foods will be lessened.

Also, Nevella has a probiotic in it which the Splenda brand does not. Apparently, sucralose does not benefit or encourage good flora. Nevella solves that problem. It is still sucralose, however.

Gas is usually caused by yeast and if the flora is all upset and unbalanced. Any baking powder and baking soda will makes things worse too. Just about anything to do with baking will. So, really need to find help to get the tummy issues sorted out, then I think you will get more normal reactions.

Hope you get better soon.

Julia said...

Cheesecake is yummy, caramel is yummy, so this must be amazing!

Jennifer said...

LOL Yep, this was yummy. :)

Kathleen said...

Jennifer, do you put both the caramel sauce and topping on the cheesecake?

Jennifer said...

Hi Kathleen - the caramel sauce gets combined with a few other ingredients to make the topping and it is the topping and sauce combination that goes on top of the cheesecake. :)

Kathleen said...

Just wanted to let you know about the results of this cheesecake. I only had a 9" springform so I slightly increased the crust ingredients. I did not have a pan big enough for the water bath so I turned the oven temp down to 300 and baked for about 40 minutes. It was wonderful! I'm planning on making it for Thanksgiving.

Jennifer said...

That's wonderful, Kathleen. So happy you enjoyed it. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year.

Tina said...

Cheesecake is a rare treat around here-hard to believe that you have made so many of them. It does look delicious and the caramel topping is unique. Delicious.

Carolyn said...

Now that is a cheesecake, my friend! Looks so good.

Jennifer said...

Yep, Tina - I'm the cheesecake queen - no, seriously, I just think it is a perfect low-carb dessert.

Thanks, Carolyn. :)

IvO said...

Just curious if you can use just the caramel sauce instead of making the topping?

Jennifer said...

No, it is not enough for a topping and I believe it is not solid enough.