THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Blueberry Muffins (GF)


UPDATE:  I made this yesterday as my son, Jonathan, came home for a visit.  He loved them and they only lasted a few hours. As I suspected, the recipe below as typed is perfect!  Forget the Helpful Hints.   This is a super muffin!

The muffin in the foreground was the one I made last night.  It used 3 eggs and there was too much liquid in the muffin (close to 2/3 cup) - hence a bit  misshapen and they look more moist.  The other muffins I made this morning and they used 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk.  The result was not as tasty as the one the night before.  It was a bit drier and the texture was not as nice - even although they probably look nicer in the pic.  My conclusion was:  use 3 eggs rather (this was adding an extra egg to the original recipe) and reduce the liquid requirements.  I don't even need to retest the recipe as I'm almost positive as to the outcome (I covered myself in the Helpful Hints, just in case) - so find the revised recipe below.  Lovely muffin this by the way, no problem there.  I like them without any butter - just as is.   The baking is nicer with an extra egg due to the fact that coconut flour requires more eggs in baking.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
This is a lovely blueberry muffin.  It is based on my Blueberry Muffin recipe from Splendid Desserts, my very first cookbook that I wrote at the age of 35.

13/4  cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (425 mL)
  page___(1/2 tsp (2 mL) xanthan gum)
1 tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
1/2 tsp Morton® Lite salt (2 mL)
3 tbsp butter (45 mL)
3 eggs
Liquid sucralose to equal 1/2 cup (125 mL)
  SPLENDA® Granular (125 mL)
1/3  cup Hood Calorie Countdown (75 mL)
  Milk, OR Carolyn’s Milk, page___
1/4 cup granulated erythritol (60 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
3/4  cup frozen unsweetened blueberries, (175 mL)
  OR fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, baking powder and light salt.  In food processor, process butter and eggs.  Add liquid sucralose, OR SPLENDA® Granular, Hood Calorie Countdown Milk, OR Carolyn’s milk, page___, erythritol and vanilla extract.  Add dry ingredients and process until thickened.  Stir in blueberries.

Pour batter into greased muffin pan.  Bake 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in muffin comes out clean.

Yield:   9 muffins
1 muffin
170.5 calories
6.1 g protein
12.8 g fat
6.4 g carbs


8 comments:

Ruth said...

Looks like a great muffin recipe! Yum!

Jennifer said...

Hi Ruth! :)

Lisa, motyok said...

That's funny. I made blueberry mini muffins this morning. You know what they say about great minds...

Jennifer said...

LOL I was too curious so hopped over to your blog to check out your muffins. Very nice.

Eftychia said...

Hi Jennifer, today I baked muffins as well! Your recipe looks delicious and I am very pleased to read that you are a cookbook author as well.
My mother-in-law is a diabetic and I am sure your recipes will help a lot.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I am Greek-Cypriot and I live in Cyprus.
The mastic powder in greek is called "masticha" I will give you a link to a previous post I have, where you can find all relevant information.
It is a product you can find ONLY in the island of Chios "ΧΙΟΣ" and it is exported in the whole world. I am sure you will love it. The taste and smell of masticha are excellent!!
www.dreamofcakes.net/.../...-with-greek-touch.html

Jennifer said...

Hey, we're all on the same wavelength lately.

Eftychia - that is amazing to me - Greek and living in Cyprus. You are my first Greek-Cypriot friend in the whole world.

Thanks for the link.

Ann said...

The muffins look terrific and I love that you put the reasons your muffins look different. It's obvious how much work, effort and LOVE you put in these yummy pastries! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

And thank you too, Ann. You are such a sweetheart. I can say the very same about your work. :)