THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Old 51 and Young 51 - What Do These Women Do Differently?

She is a TV health guru advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and ill health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet high in organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements, also making statements that yeast is harmful, that the 
colour of food is nutritionally significant, and about the utility of lingual and faecal examination.


She is a TV cook, who eats nothing but meat, butter and desserts.

Should we now rest our case !?!!

This is the email I got from my sister-in-law who lives in NZ this morning and thought I would share it with you all.  I don't look too bad at 54 and I follow the 2nd woman's dietary plan, except my desserts do not contain white flour or sugar.  Maybe having extra estrogen helps too, you know?  I see this TV cook and I have something in common upstairs.  She is stunning though and I think she looks better than I do.

UPDATE:  You know my conscience convicted me re this post and one commenter mentioned the lady above's name.  I went digging to see who she is. Well, I realized that this pic was taken of her in the hot, steamy JUNGLE where she absolutely had no access to make-up or taking care of her looks and hair, etc. In contrast the beautiful damsel with the dark hair is perfectly made up and coiffed for TV.  It is a teeny bit unfair to compare the two women in this manner but it it still proves a point that fat is good for the skin and complexion.

So this email floating around is actually a little biased.  She usually looks quite a lot better, as can be seen in a better pic of her above but definitely not as good as the other 51 year old (FAT rules!).  She must have some real enemies out there who hate her.  She has, however, bought into the low-fat lie and frankly a goodly amount of fat is good for the skin. Dr. Atkins said that he was always shocked to see folks who had very little fat in their diet would usually have very deep lines from the nose to mouth, as clearly she does.

12 comments:

Kent said...

Re: the two photos -

I say this cautiously as a guy. Would not a little makeup or perhaps a more positive photo (she looks angry) help the first woman immensely or similarly to the second? I think one's attitude has a lot to do with the beauty that one presents towards other. I am not discounting diet from potentially leading one to being happier, but am just cautious because some days I feel (or look) pretty rough myself.

Ginny said...

Jennifer, I identify with you in several ways! Ha ha! Thanks for sharing yourself so honestly.

Jennifer said...

Aaw, Kent, guys don't have to worry about that. They only get better and more handsome usually as they age and get a bit more rugged. It's in this world that aging is a bit more unfair towards women. We don't have a whole lot of say-so as to how we're going to age - so this is really tongue-in-cheek and maybe more than a little unfair towards the first lady. I agree. She can do so much more to make herself look less tired and angry too (bad photo for sure) - starting with a less severe hairstyle - and some pretty make-up.

Jennifer said...

Haha, Ginny! I knew there was a reason I could really relate to you as a friend. (((HUGS)))

Ruth said...

I lso agree that a little makeup and a photo of her smiling rather than making a funny face might help Gillian. Intereseting reading though - it has definitely made me think!!

Jennifer said...

Hi Ruth - you know in hindsight, I feel a bit bad about this post, because Gillian (that is her name?) is not a bad looking lady and really does not have that many wrinkles in any case. She has nice hair and should maybe bring it down around her face a bit.

The TV Cook is British and evidently hardly ever sees the sun as she has a milky white complexion - beautiful for sure. I am fairish but I am lightly tanned year round now (except for upper legs and part of torso - wear dresses most days) and being in Canada I was sun-deprived, so I think that definitely helped my skin not to age as much as it could have perhaps (although the first 20 years saw much beach time each year living in South Africa) - and now, of course, the opposite is the case. I feel healthier though and definitely believe in getting some sun and natural vitamin D is healthier than hiding from the sun completely. I walk my dog twice a day and get my sunshine that way. I don't bother with sunscreen much.

I think letting oneself stay natural is nice and easy but it is not an even playing field out there. Some of us wear make-up. If we all went without then it would be different.

Janknitz said...

"My youngest son used to joke when he was little: "My Dad cooks burnt and my Mom cooks sweet!"

LOL--my kids say "Dad cooks dinner and Mama makes concoctions".

Jennifer said...

LOL Janknitz - kids are so observant and say the cutest things at times. One remembers years later when they are all grown up.

WinterRose said...

Although what's going on inside our bodies can contribute to how we look outside... how we look outside doesn't always match what's going on inside. Some people are very healthy, but still have wrinkles. Other people can have a horrible diet, but look baby-fresh. You just never know. :) I say, eat a diet that makes you feel good and keeps you healthy.

Jennifer said...

"I say, eat a diet that makes you feel good and keeps you healthy."

Good point, WinterRose, you are right. :)

ehowse said...

This is a general comment and not really one about this particular issue.

Are you planning a GF cookbook? I see you have added many GF recipes in your blogs and it's how I found you as it's hard to find both LC and GF! Thanks for all your work in this area!

Jennifer said...

Many of my favorite links are to blogs that also favor low-carb and gluten-free.

Yes, there will be a substantial cookbook for GF and low-carb recipes, God willing, by American Thanksgiving.