THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Banana Walnut Bread (GF)




BANANA WALNUT BREAD
Real, moist banana bread, dark in color – good carbs!  In the tropics, the animals and the birds all love bananas, even my adopted doggie, Smiley.   I used a few raisins instead of walnuts for this bread in the photo because I am usually in weight maintenance mode although I could stand to lose some weight again.  You might see some more strict dieting lower carb options on my blog for a while.    Sorry about the quality of the second photo.  It was in my kitchen late at night and the lighting was poor.  The loaf keeps its height and does not sink.  I'm beginning to notice that with the new and improved Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix that there is little to no sinking with the baking.  I need to verify this but it seems that way.


1/2  cup butter
2 bananas, mashed
3/tsp EZ-Sweetz to equal 3/cup sugar
1/cup granulated erythritol
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda                
1/tsp salt
1/2  cup sugar-free chocolate chips, OR walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. In food processor, process butter, mashed bananas, EZ-Sweetz, erythritol, eggs and vanilla extract.  In medium bowl, combine Gluten-free Bake Mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to egg mixture and process until batter thickens up.  Stir in sugar-free chocolate chips, OR walnuts.

Line an 8 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan with parchment paper (or aluminum foil, unless the pan is really new and nonstick).  Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan.  Bake approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour, covering loaf lightly with sheet of foil during the last 25 minutes. Test loaf with a dinner knife and if it comes out clean, loaf is done.  Allow loaf to cool a few minutes and pick up the parchment paper and set it down on a cake rack. Gently remove paper from sides of the loaf.  If not using parchment paper or foil, allow the loaf to cool in pan about 10 minutes on cake rack and then remove. Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing with a sharp bread knife.  Refrigerate or freeze leftovers after a day.

Helpful Hints:  Low-carb baking often sticks to the baking pan.  Lining the pan with foil or wax paper and spraying with nonstick cooking spray will ensure the bread comes out easily.  Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing with a sharp bread knife.  Refrigerate or freeze leftovers after a day.  If you are in weight maintenance mode, raisins may be used instead of walnuts, or use half the amount of raisins and snip them in half with a kitchen scissors. Even sugar free chocolate chips may be used. It is easy to slice super-thin slices of low-carb loaves (fewer carbs and calories!) after they have been refrigerated and thoroughly chilled.  The bake mix used only 1/2 tsp xanthan gum - successful in this recipe to reduce it from 3/4 tsp.  No frosting is required - this is a very tasty loaf!  It tastes like the real thing.



Yield:  18 servings
1 serv: choc. chips/walnuts
143.5/143.2 calories
3.1/3.7 g protein
10.9/11.7 g fat
0.2/0.4 g fiber
5.7/5.7 g net carbs 



11 comments:

Janet said...

I have been missing sweet breads.
This looks so good!
I wish I wasn't the only low carber in my family so I could try more recipes!

Jennifer said...

You can try the recipe and then freeze it. Loaves and muffins will freeze very well - wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze or slice and freeze in an airtight container.

Lolly's Sweet Treat said...

Hi Jennifer, this banana bread looks great! I am always looking for new gluten-free desserts for my friends who are sensitive to gluten. Thanks :)

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful friend you are!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for posting your low carb gluten free bake mix without flax. I didn't see your tweak on reducing the xanthum gum to .5 tsp from .75 tsp, so hopefully we won't have tummy issues. I've got banana bread in the oven right now, can't wait to see how it turns out. Have you ever tried baking your bread in a ceramic pan? That's what I'm using now, hoping it works out alright. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Kathy

Jennifer said...

Hi Kathy, I have switched back to 3/4 tsp xanthan gum. Typically, unless I really overdo my baking, I don't have any issues these days - thankfully!

I have never tried using a ceramic pan. That should be interesting. I recently bought smaller loaf pans - 8 x 4 inch and definitely nonstick. The bread is super made in that. Also looks bigger because the pan is a bit smaller than the usual 9 x 5 inch.

KathyAC said...

Hi Jennifer,
Kathy, here again following up. The loaf popped right out of the ceramic pan after sitting for about 5 minutes. There was negligible fall in the middle of the loaf. I didn't do sugar free, but your GF bake mix substituted great for a recipe I had. The whole family liked it! Whoo hoo!

I'm thinking of trying your scone recipe next. Have you ever tried holding your batter/dough overnight in the refrigerator to be made the next morning?

Thanks for spending all the time and money developing your mix and sharing it with the world, fantastic!
Kathy

KathyAC said...

Hi Jennifer,
I think my other comment just vaporized, anyway....
The bread turned out great! Just popped right out of the ceramic pan after 5 minutes!

Thanks for spending all that time and money perfecting your GF bake mix and sharing it with the world, you're very generous. I've thrown out lots of inedible expensive disasters!
Kathy

Jennifer said...

Kathy, that is super that it worked in your favorite recipe and that the family loved it too. Yay! Sweet success.

No, I've not done that with that particular recipe but I did have an overnight coffeecake that I made that way once with a different bake mix (the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix). What I would do is get the dry ingredients ready the night before, then it's really not that much work after that. Which scone recipe? I forget. lol

I loved your last sentence. Sounds so nice to think of it that way. Thanks. It's what I do for a living but also it is a labor of love. :) I enjoy sharing my recipes.

IvO said...

Beautiful pic Jennifer of a beautiful and delicious recipe!

:D

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Ivonne. :)