THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Splenda Misinformation - Written by a famous low-carb doctor

Although this article about Splenda misinformation  by Dr. Eades is older, it's a good thing to remind ourselves that in moderation, Splenda is probably going to be okay for most folks.  If one has obvious side effects, then don't use it.  My family has been the biggest guinea pigs on planet earth for Splenda (18 years and counting and some years on massive doses). I again tried a taste of the Stevia in my cupboard and I must say I really don't like it too much.  The choice of sweetener is definitely a personal one.  I will tell you though I am so skittish about aspartame and I've had a fair amount in my life.  I think it is much worse for us than Splenda, and sugar again is also much worse for us than Splenda.  Anyway, just my opinion, but nice to see that the good low-carb doctor agrees.

Splenda is not perfect, however, and some people do have legitimate problems and reactions to it.  Those people should steer clear.  I have to steer clear of dark chocolate and acidic things.  It happens.  The thing about Splenda that is not great is that it can affect gut flora (the source:  Dr. Mercola who is very anti-Splenda or any sweetener).  Now, there is a way around that besides eating yogurt.  Nevella, a sucralose/Splenda-like product with probiotics (probiotics more powerful than in yogurt) has been my preference for over a year now.  I love it!  I like using it in combination with erythritol these days.  I guess the patent on sucralose and Splenda Granular has run out and other companies are making it.  I tried one by Better Homes and Gardens and did not like it at all.  It did not seem to have enough sweetening power to sweeten my cheesecake adequately.  Nevella has none of those problems.  Did I mention that Nevella is way cheaper than Splenda Granular?  That is what sold me on the product initially.  Splenda Granular has become prohibitively expensive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love your blog but haven't had the gumption to try your recipes. Keep on keeping on!
KC

Jennifer said...

Hope you will find some recipes on my blog that you'll enjoy and make part of your repertoire. Glad you enjoy the blog. I work hard at it. Thanks for your encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I had no idea there were other splenda like products out there. Especially ones that were priced better. Good to know. I just wanted to point out that the probiotics would probably die during cooking or putting in hot coffee. Just something to keep in mind. I don't know how long they would last after freezing.

Kathy

Jennifer said...

They die? Hmm, I put some in my strawberries and blueberries today and in my yogurt, so that should be okay. Good point! I'm not sure they warn us about that glitch.

debbie said...

I had been using Splenda for over 20 yrs (I live in Canada), and was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor after dizziness, and what seemed like July 1 fire sparklers going off in my head 24/7. I also had headaches, and could not stand loud noises, or light. Couldn't watch TV when my husband was fast forwarding with the PVR it hurt my head. I did an elimination diet after seeing numerous doctors, including neurosurgeons, and neurologists, who couldn't figure it out,it turned out to be Splenda. I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. As far as I'm concerned ALL artificial sweeteners as POISON. I now do a Paleo Diet and feel 100% better. Still have the tumor and go each year for a MRI and keep praying it stays benign. Just my two cents.

Jennifer said...

Debbie, I am so sorry you have a benign tumor, but thank the Lord, it is benign! I don't blame you for cutting out all artificial sweeteners under the circumstances and for being so afraid. I just want to point out something though. My dog had a huge benign tumor and I never fed him Splenda. My uncle had huge tumors (lymphoma, cancer) in his body and he had never even heard of Splenda in South Africa. Believe me, I understand though. Prayers for you, Debbie. May you live a long and happy life and may this brain tumor shrivel and never ever be a problem! Your dietary plan sounds good and I bet you won't ever have a problem. Blessings.

I hope you know that Aspartame has been linked to cancerous tumors in rats. They have not linked Splenda to cancer or anything like tumors, but you never know with any of these things and I certainly don't trust the FDA anymore. Sugar is also a poison. It is resulting in diabetes and amputations and other awful things.

Sometimes it's a case of choosing one's own poison. Terrible to say. There are not that many options for us. I pray one day there are better choices for us. I find the Stevia blends upset my stomach terribly. I can't tolerate Stevia on its own - yucky taste. Xylitol upsets my stomach and it could kill my dog! That is why I say choosing a sweetener is a personal thing and thankfully you can use your preferred sweetener (hopefully not sugar or a sugar-like sweetener - that feeds cancer cells) in my low-carb recipes.

Jennifer said...

Wow, blogger shut down for maintenance yesterday for hours and hours until after midday today and it lost all 6 of the comments here. I'm so sorry about that to all those who commented. I did get your comments. Thank you. :)

Judy Barnes Baker said...

Hi Jennifer.

I've been wondering where the idea that Splenda affects gut flora came from. Do you know a study that shows that? Dr. Mercola said that it eliminated half of the microbes in the gut, but he didn't cite any source for that claim. My first thought when I read his article was that it probably eliminates the half that live on sugar, which would be a good thing. It could have beneficial effects like xylitol, which starves the germs that cause tooth decay that normally live on sugar.

Jennifer said...

Come to think of it - Dr. Mercola! LOL I hope you are right, Judy.