THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gluten-Free Crispy Pizza Crust (New)



GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA CRUST
This is a thin, crispy crust – very good and a carb bargain!  I made this recipe before with another bake mix plus it also had some butter in the recipe, but this recipe is way nicer (crispier crust!) and the calories are lower too.  Bonus!  Enjoy pizza again without any guilt.



For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:
Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 
http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!



2 cups shredded Monterey Jack (500 mL)
  cheese
2/3  cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix 1, OR Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 (no gelatin required) (150 mL)
1 egg white, fork beaten (from large egg)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack cheese, Gluten-free Bake Mix 1, OR 2 and egg white.  Grease a smallish, nonstick pizza pan (the kind you would use for a dessert fruit pizza).  Cover dough with plastic wrap and using a small rolling pin (I have one especially for rolling crusts in a pie dish) or small food can, roll dough out evenly.  Bake in oven 10 minutes.

Cover crust with pizza sauce (recipe below) and toppings of choice such as cooked, savory ground beef, green onions, red, orange or yellow peppers, cooked, chopped bacon and another cup (250 mL) shredded cheese.  Bake 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C).  When the edges are browned and crispy, pizza crust is ready.

Helpful Hints: Don't try placing this crust on greased tin foil - it sticks!  Two or three slices of this pizza and a nice salad is a very filling meal.  I’m sure other cheeses such as Mozzarella and Cheddar would work as well.  For a crispier crust, use a pizza pan with holes and spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray on both sides.  Roll crust onto parchment paper.  This makes for a nice, crispy crust!

Yield: 12 servings
1 serving (crust only)
103.7 calories
6.2 g protein
8.0 g fat
1.5 g carbs


 PIZZA SAUCE
This easy pizza sauce gives your pizza an authentic taste.  This pizza sauce is thicker and not too watery – to help keep your pizza crust nice and crispy!

2, 5.5 oz cans tomato paste (156 mL)
2/3 cup water (150 mL)
Sweetener to equal 1 tbsp sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp oregano (5 mL)
1/2 tsp basil (2 mL)
1/4 tsp onion salt (1 mL)
1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)
1/8 tsp garlic powder (0.5 mL)
1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)

In medium bowl, whisk together tomato paste, water, sweetener, oregano, basil, onion salt, black pepper, garlic powder and salt.

Use 1/4  cup (50 mL) per pizza crust.

Helpful Hints:  Freeze leftover sauce or only make half this recipe.  This delicious pizza sauce will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. 


Yield: 13/4 cups (425 mL)

1 tbsp (15 mL) per serving

8.6 calories

0.4 g protein
0.1 g fat
1.5 g carbs


13 comments:

Denns said...

Your helpful hints on this one recommend against using greased tin foil, but the directions really don't tell you what to cook this on. A dry cookie sheet or pizza pan? A greased baking sheet or pizza pan?

And thanks for all the great recipes. Finding your blog has really made a difference in my ability to stick with the lo-carb lifestyle. Keep up the great work!

Dennis said...

Oh jeez...never mind. I reread the recipe and FINALLY saw the part about a non-greased cookie sheet...

Jennifer said...

Hi Dennis. No problem. Happy you found my blog too. :)

smithra234@comcast.net said...

Hi Jennifer,
love your recipes, when looking for the pizza crust recipe on the website, the old and the new GF recipe, with the old there is butter in the recipe and in the new GF there is no butter. I was wondering if this ingredient was not listed by mistake or if indeed there is no butter in new GF recipe? I hope this makes sense.
Rhonda

Jennifer said...

Hi Rhonda, the previous recipe was quite greasy, so I believe I dropped the butter, but you can experiment with added a tablespoon or two of butter - tasty!

Rhonda said...

Thank you for clearing that up. I will try with a few tbsp to see how it turns out and let you know the results.
Rhonda

Jennifer said...

That would be great.

Irma G. Guerrero said...

I was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago & recently found your website. I've enjoyed baking your Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread, Thin Pizza Crust, & Coconut Drops. I just ordered two of your cookbook Vol 1 & 2 and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrived to try some more recipes. I had stopped baking when the children left off to law school, but now that I'm retired and found your recipes I'm back to my baking.
Thanks for reviving me!
Irma G. Guerrero
Pharr, Texas

Jennifer said...

Oh, Irma, that's really neat that you found your love of baking again and using some recipes you feel safe with. I have a hamburger recipe to share soon (based on the sandwich bread) and it works very nicely - better than any of my other GF attempts. I go through phases too where I don't do a whole lot of creative stuff in the kitchen, believe it or not. It is nice when someone inspires us again. :)

Philis said...

Hi Jennifer, I had made the crust and froze until ready to use. We had it for lunch today. Oh my, it was so much better than what I had been making & really not that much different, yet using your bread mix made a huge difference.

My husband's favorite food - pre low carb & gluten free was Kentucky Fried Chicken. He said after lunch it was better than KFC. I looked at him & said, "If there was a plate of KFC & this pizza on the table & you could choose only one to eat what would you choose?" "Pizza" was his answer. I was flabbergasted! :)
Philis

Jennifer said...

Sorry for the delay in posting your comment, Philis. I've been run off my feet in the last couple of days with an important visitor (ambassador).

Wow, that is amazing! I, too, can't believe your husband's delight. Yay! No better feeling than when we make food that our family appreciates. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story. I might put that in my book to encourage others. I won't use your name though.

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

This recipe is in your book. You know what I never buy cook books. I have two gifted to me by my daughter and niece. I have to think.

Jennifer said...

LOL Neetu - your cooking is so fabulous and different, however, maybe you would like the baking and desserts sections mostly in our cookbook.