Gluten Intolerance (not Celiac) - Real or Imagined?


"A new study in the journal BMC Medicine may shed some light on why. It shows gluten can set off a distinct reaction in the intestines and the immune system, even in people who don't have celiac disease."  To view this article:  click here.

If you suspect gluten intolerance, then the logical thing to do is cut it out for a few months and see how much better you feel and if your symptoms subside.  They suggest testing for Celiac anyway, but to get a positive on Celiac, the procedure is a little more invasive than most people would like.

Good news, I thought, is that people with mere gluten intolerance do not have damage to their intestines or a leaky gut. 

I don't think I am gluten-intolerant.  I'm more fiber-intolerant.  My husband might be allergic to wheat as he gets some congestion after ingesting it, he thinks.  Time will tell as I'm mostly cooking and baking low-carb and gluten-free these days.