THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Diabetes and Low-Carb Living - Do they get it right?

I started thinking along these lines this morning after reading Laura Dolson's interesting article re a possible softening of the ADA's stance on low-carb diets.  It's a cheek as my friend, Barbara Goldstein, said that the ADA can pretend that they never suggested a high carb diet for people with diabetes, when all the evidence suggests otherwise.  Hmmm - I agree with Barbo, having produced two Splenda Cookbooks that were specifically geared for people with diabetes.  That was 18 years ago and the guidelines I followed did not key on carbohydrates, but fat was definitely the villain! 

A diet rich in soy and whey protein, found in ...Image via Wikipedia

I found this site for Diabetic Living that has a magazine they put out.  They mention 17 low-carb snacks - yummy!  Only problem is when I took a closer look, those snacks (not meals) in of themselves contained at least 15 to 20 grams of carbs and the emphasis is still on light yogurt and low fat milk.  Get this one - 3 graham cracker squares for 20 grams of carbohydrate!  (what a non-nutrient snack), popcorn, apples, oranges, peanut butter and whole wheat bread or half an English muffin (at least it was half - but who can stop there once one gets an insulin rush?), cheese and a bit of apple.  Here's a better snack - strawberries and cottage cheese (oh wait a bit - low fat cottage cheese!).  One cup of grapes - whew a lot of sugar for someone who has problems with their carbohydrate metabolism - no protein or fat to balance that out either!  Cereal, peanut butter and crackers and carrots, pita bread and hummus rounds up the snacks.  I don't know - I think they could have done much better, especially since we're talking about people who have diabetes!

To be fair, their low-carb meals looked much better - the few that I glanced at. So maybe they're getting there like Laura suggests.  It certainly would help so many people live happier, healthier lives.  About time!

5 comments:

ravenrose said...

I think it's almost more dangerous that they co-opt the term "low carb" for something that's only a bit lower than the horrific stuff in the Standard American Diet. Diabetics follow this and think they are doing all they can! Very very sad.

Jennifer said...

Ravenrose, I agree with everything you said. So nice to "see" you here. Thank you for valuable insight.

I feel sad too that people are still being misled for the most part by organizations,hospitals, doctors, nurses and dietitians they should be able to trust. Change is slow to happen, but I think it is inevitable that it will happen.

Many doctors and dietitians are actually being enlightened as we speak, so I have hope for the future for these people who are still suffering through lack of knowledge.

Jennifer said...

Barbo wrote me this morning - wow, makes one think. How sad that people are still being misled like Barbo was in the past. She is one of the few enlightened folks and blessed as a result.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I subscribed
to the magazine. I soon found out that this magazine
and their recipes could not help me, nor did the ADA
diet. That's when I found Dr. Bernstein's books and his
site. Thank God for him and LCF. Plus all my good
friends like you. I praise God for his leading. I had
known about Dr. Atkins since his first book. I wish
I had stayed with his program.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps if there is justice, in a "silver lining" effect of the US economic collapse, the US Gov will stop supporting the so-called American Diabetes Association (and all other government agencies that directly or indirectly hurt/sicken/kill people through misinformation (the benign interpretation) or outright fraud and corruption...

Just a thought. We can hope.

There are other better sources of info than the ADA. Avoid ADA; morally reprehensible, scientifically obtuse, they're dangerous. How many people have they killed?

Pardon me for the unpleasant tone and the lack of euphemism.

I would have died if my doctor had had her way with me but I escaped to find someone better informed, more knowledgeable, less dogmatic.

So now, no longer insulin resistant;
using Dr. Bernstein's plan and Protein Power Lifeplan I'm down 40 pounds;
working toward losing another 40; blood sugar declining;
HDL 68;
triglycerides 60;
CHOL/HDLC ratio 3.1;
"low cardiovascular risk";
I feel better than I ever have in my life because I am truly well.

It can be done, but it takes hard work (stick to low carb diet) and determination.

Be well.

One Yank in the midwest.

Jennifer said...

I totally understand why you feel the way you do. So grateful you found the way to good health. I honestly believe it is best to be pro-active in one's own health and keep doctors on the perimeter - only if you really need them! I would be sitting without a thyroid gland had I listened to several doctors. :(