THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How I Make My Yogurt

YOGURT
This is how I make yogurt – a very simple method.
Text Box: Yield: 7 servings
1 serving (less than a cup)
127.6 calories
6.7 g protein
6.7 g fat
4.0 g carbs per cup
11/3 cups whole milk powder, OR (375 mL)
  Skim milk powder
3 tbsp yogurt with culture (45 mL)
1 tsp sugar (5 mL)
3 2/3 cups water, boiled and cooled (900 mL)


Put a kettle on to boil.  Place all the glass containers of the salton yogurt maker (mine is an old one, so you may need to adapt) on a cookie sheet.  Pour boiling water in them.  Rinse measuring cup, whisk and pouring jug with boiling water.
Meanwhile bring water to a boil in a big pot with a lid on it.  Pour off the water and replace the lid.  Wait for the water to cool in the glass containers.  When cool measure the amount of water in the recipe into the big pot.  Stir in whole or skim milk powder, yogurt and sugar with whisk until well-combined.  Pour into jug and fill glass containers.  Place in salton maker overnight and in the morning you will have lovely, thick non-sour yogurt.  Refrigerate.
Helpful Hints:  Yogurt, Buttermilk and Kefir – Happily, the Go-Diet authors, Jack Goldberg and Karen O’Mara changed my outlook with regard to these products.  The live cultures such as lactobacillus are hugely beneficial to your health in many ways, not the least of which is helping combat yeast overgrowth, promoting colon health and boosting the immune system.  According to laboratory studies, 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt contains only about 4 grams of carbohydrate, since these live bacteria have changed the lactose into lactic acid, and this is not taken into account in the nutritional analysis.  Daily consumption of yogurt is therefore highly recommended.
The minute amount of sugar (per serving it is 1/7th of a teaspoon) is to ensure the yogurt is not sour.  I have not tried making the yogurt without it, but you are free to experiment, of course.
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

Lisa, motyok said...

I make large batches using fresh milk and cream. Mine sits in a styrofoam cooler overnight with a heating pad. So easy and creamy too.

Now my son Christian has to have it fermented for 24 hours. It is a bit more sour, but even thicker. That eliminates all the lactose. We have gotten used to the tartness. That is covered well with an extra touch of sweetener.

Kent said...

How appropo... I have just discovered the goodness and general availability of a low carb yogurt in Greek Yogurt. The one I really like has only three ingredients - cream, milk, and a stabilizer I believe. It is consequently really low carb 5g per 6 oz and loaded with active cultures.

I am afraid this one food that I'll choose the readily available commercial product. If this was a diet or fad product like the former LC yogurt alternatives, I might be worried about the inevitable discontinuing of the product, but with this whole foods being unlikely to be affected by societal whims, I am happy to consume this wholesome product.

I am however curious what does the yogurt maker actually do overnight?

Jennifer said...

Lisa, do you have a pic on the internet of your heating pad? That sounds interesting. I'd love to make more yogurt at a time.

Jennifer said...

Kent, the yogurt maker is like an incubator. It keeps it warm and allows the culture to grow forming yogurt by morning. Like, Lisa said one could leave it in even longer. The longer it stays in there, the more sour it will most likely become. I have not really tested that, but I assume so.

Yogurt is very expensive here and we were spending $50 on yogurt alone. Now we're spending much less.

The Greek yogurt sounds incredible! Enjoy without guilt - it's good for you and you should eat it.

Jennifer said...

P.S. I meant we were spending $50 per month on yogurt.

Lisa, motyok said...

Jennifer, I don't have a photo, but it is just a standard electric heating pad that has a flannel cover. Nothing special. I cut a place for the cord in a cheap styrofoam cooler. That way the lid fits snugly, and everything stays warm. I can do a gallon of milk and a quart of cream or half and half in one batch. I put it in canning jars that then go straight to the fridge. I also put some in bigger jars then drip it through cheesecloth to make a yogurt cream cheese. I reduces by about half. I save the whey to make lacto fermented salsa and veggies.

Jennifer said...

Good grief, Lisa - you are pro at this!! Thanks for the suggestions.