THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Friday, August 20, 2010

Low-Carb and Loving It - the Shirataki Noodle!



Low-Carb and Loving It!

The Shirataki Noodle
If you are on a low-carb diet and love pasta, you may as well staple your mouth shut, until now. America has finally discovered the Shirataki noodle, an Asian plant root that contains tons of fiber and almost no “bad” carbs. Not only are they helpful in losing weight for us pasta lovers, but there are other health benefits to this miracle pasta such as evidence that the ingredients can assist in blood sugar control.

So How Do They Taste?
Although Shirataki noodles can be a little rubbery, boiling helps with reducing this. They are packaged in liquid and it is recommended that they be strained before boiling since the liquid has a unique, yet subtle taste. These noodles have been described as not having a particular taste of their own causing them to take on the flavor of anything they are cooked in.

Where to Find the Shirataki Noodle
Most Asian grocery stores carry this noodle as well as places such as Whole Foods and specialty markets, some larger grocery store chains also carry Shirataki noodles. Cost averages at around two to three bucks a bag. So pull out the parm and get the marinara ready, pasta has the green light again!

Bio: Alexis Bonari is a freelance writer and blog junkie. She is a passionate blogger on the topic of education and free college scholarships. In her spare time, she enjoys square-foot gardening, swimming, and avoiding her laptop.

P.S. Alexis, some of us who are not strictly low-carbing enjoy Dreamfields low-carb pasta on occasion. It tastes like the real thing. However, for those strictly low-carbing, Shirataki noodles sounds like a nice alternative, although I've never tried them.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

You have to hold your nose closed when you first open the bag, the smell is horrible. Altho repeated rinsing gets rid of it. I tried them but didn't know to rinse that well and just warmed them up, didn't boil them had about two mouthfuls then gave up and threw them out. Now you have to know they have to be pretty bad for me to do that, just saying. But I may have to try again, armed with this new info.

Jennifer said...

LOL Debbie - that doesn't sound very encouraging.

Tracey said...

I've found that the fishy taste goes away just fine after rinsing the liquid off, and I've tried both boiling for a couple of minutes and sauteing some of the noodles in olive oil with herbs, and both techniques worked well.

Either way, it's not the taste but the gelatinous texture of these noodles that turned me off. I was thankful for them when I was trying to keep my carbs extremely low, and knowing how high fiber they are made me feel good about them, but the texture did not have me wanting to go back for more, especially since I always used to like my pasta extra al dente.

I'm still glad shirataki noodles are available (I can find them at my local Whole Foods), but my favorite pasta substitution is julienned veggies. I blogged about it here.

Jennifer said...

Ugh - I'm not sure I would like them either now that I read these 2 reviews. I also like julienned veggies - zucchini or eggplant or spaghetti squash (but I don't get that here unfortunately). However, these days I often reach for Dreamfields. I do moderate low-carbing most of the time as I find when I want to lose weight I do intermittent fasting and that takes care of things without having to go too low in carbs. With my thyroid on the blink, I need to have some good carbs apparently.