THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Gluten-Free Pizza Crust (GF)

GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA CRUST
We loved this one!

Text Box: Yield: 12 servings 1 serving 137.2 calories 5.9 g protein 12.0 g fat 1.3 g carbs
2 cups shredded Monterey (500 mL)
1/2 cup Gluten-free Bake Mix, (125 mL)
1/3 cup butter, melted (75 mL)
1 egg white, fork beaten



In large bowl, combine Monterey cheese, Gluten-free Bake Mix, butter and egg white. Grease a smallish nonstick pizza pan (the kind you would use for a dessert fruit pizza). Cover dough with plastic wrap and using hands spread dough out evenly. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 10 minutes.

Cover with pizza sauce, page 58 Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 2 and toppings of choice such as cooked savory ground beef, green pepper and bacon and another 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes at 400°F (200°C) until browned at the edges and crispy.

Helpful Hints: Don't try placing this crust on greased tin foil - it sticks!

8 comments:

Tracey said...

Looks great! What GF bake mix do you use? Something on the market, or something you made up yourself?

Jennifer said...

Hi Tracey - it's the Gluten-free Low-carb bake mix under bake mixes to the right. Thanks for your interest. :-)

Tracey said...

Ooh, thanks.

I have a couple of those ingredients, but I'll need to get my hands on some coconut flour & oat flour. I'd use the soy flour for its lower carb content, but I'm trying to avoid soy as much as I can.

I've tried some of those eggy or veggie "crusts" for pizza that are super low carb, but I just can't stand them. The texture is all wrong, so I really need to find just the right crust that's more bread-like.

Jennifer said...

Coconut flour is available from Netrition, but you could possibly grind your own from unsweetened coconut. It just won't be quite as fine most likely. I hope you like this crust. I have other pizza crusts that are very bread-like (under bake mixes and baking) but a couple more carbs per slice.

Tiffany said...

Yummy Jen!

Can't wait to try this one too!

Jennifer said...

Hope you like it, Tiffany. I made it today too. I made two of them. I found I had to bake it 15 minutes at 400 deg. F. to get it crispy this time.

RedZinnia said...

I've made this pizza several times and it the best low carb pizza I've ever had!

Jennifer said...

Hey, that's really great, RedZinnia. I'm so happy you found a low carb pizza that you like. Thanks for sharing that.