THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A tasty way to increase Omega-3's in your diet

Did you know flax seed meal is high in Omega-3's? Apparently many of us get too much Omega-6 in the diet, but flax seed can help balance that. It has been called nature's tomoxifen. Flax seed meal should not be taken in excess (i.e. no more than 1/4 cup per day and less for some sensitive individuals (start slow)) and should always be followed by plenty of water and I mean plenty of water for safety reasons. It can be a bit of a laxative but it can also bulk up and for that reason, drink your water. Omega-3's have the ability to reduce inflammation in the body. I've just recently started adding flax seed meal into my diet. A guide to cooking and baking with flax seed.
Flax seed meal comes in two varieties: golden flax meal (mild tasting) and the regular kind (a bit grassy tasting). I prefer the golden flax meal but it is less readily available in stores.
How I use flax:
1. I love to put some plain, thick yogurt in a cereal bowl and sweeten with a couple of Splenda packets. Sprinkle with golden flax seed meal and walnuts. Walnuts are also high in Omega-3's!
2. Microwave Dry Cereal.
3. I use it in the one minute muffin or one minute bread, the next minute toast. Let me see if I can dig up my latest one minute muffin experiment.
Here it is - it is golden yellow in color:
1 egg, fork beaten
2 tbsp Carbalose flour
1 tbsp golden flax meal
1 tbsp DaVinci Sugar Free Banana Syrup
1 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp shredded Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
In cereal bowl, place all ingredients in order (except cheese) and whisk until fairly smooth. Fold in the cheese. Nuke about 1 minute 15 seconds. Microwave times will vary as not all microwave ovens are the same. Loosen edges, invert bowl. Slice in half and butter; toast instead, if desired.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 muffin:
224.7 Calories; 14.9 g protein; 16.3 g fat; 3.6 g carbs

4. Fast Cheesebread.
Here is Kristin's recipe for a chocolate 1 minute muffin.  Thought I'd share it in the main post.  Thanks, Kristin!

Chocolate minute muffin
1 T. coconut oil, melted and swirled in mug or bowl
1/4 cup ground flaxseed (or 2 T. ground flaxseed and 2 T. almond meal)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 T. cocoa powder
1 T. granulated lecithin
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp sweetener of choice (I use a packet of stevia or xylitol)
1 egg
1/2 T choc chips, optional (choc and mint chips are yummy, too)
After melting the coconut oil, add dry ingredients and egg, mix in mug. Add choc chips and mix. Microwave on high 1 minute.
I usually mix about 2 cups worth of this recipe (quadruple it minus the coconut oil and egg) and use 1/4 cup at a time.
This lowered my cholesterol (ldl and overall between 30 and 40 points in 3 months....)

4 comments:

Dream_Puppy said...

Hi- Love the recipes.

Ive always wanted to try flax in baking but is it true that the flax goes "bad" when it is heated? I heard it becomes unstable....have you heard of anything similar?

Jennifer said...

Thank you, Dream Puppy. :-)

Here is a neat site: http://www.ellies-whole-grains.com/cooking-flax.html

I'll put the link in the post as well. You will find the answer to your questions there.

kristen said...

I just found your site, and wanted to let you know how I've adapted a low-carb, high fiber microwave "minute muffin". I took the original recipe from another website, but adapted it to have more moisture and flavor.

I prefer to make it chocolate, so I'll give the recipe here that way, but you can eliminate the cocoa powder and make it with plain, with berries, etc.

Chocolate minute muffin

1 T. coconut oil, melted and swirled in mug or bowl

1/4 cup ground flaxseed (or 2 T. ground flaxseed and 2 T. almond meal)

1 tsp cinnamon
1 T. cocoa powder
1 T. granulated lecithin
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp sweetener of choice (I use a packet of stevia or xylitol)
1 egg
1/2 T choc chips, optional (choc and mint chips are yummy, too)

After melting the coconut oil, add dry ingredients and egg, mix in mug. Add choc chips and mix. Microwave on high 1 minute.

I usually mix about 2 cups worth of this recipe (quadruple it minus the coconut oil and egg) and use 1/4 cup at a time.

This lowered my cholesterol (ldl and overall between 30 and 40 points in 3 months....)

Jennifer said...

Wow, Kristen! Thanks for sharing your recipe. It's sounds exceptional. I will try it soon. That's amazing about your cholesterol. What a tasty way to lower it.