New Study - I'm Puzzled By This One!


Article in CNN This study shows that women who eat white bread, pasta, sugar, white rice, etc. have twice the risk of developing heart disease. I can understand that knowing that these women will almost always eventually develop insulin resistance which leads to metabolic syndrome, obesity, diabetes and heart disease and a higher risk of some cancers.

However, to say that men are somehow a different "animal" and that they metabolize the very same carbs differently and, therefore, do not have twice the risk of developing heart disease like women do, is puzzling to me. I've seen men eat those particular carbs for years at a stretch and they wind up, just like women, getting heavier and developing a big stomach (result of too much insulin being poured out in response to eating carbohydrates and a side effect of insulin resistance). How are they different exactly? I'm just a lay person observing things in everyday life. If these men eating white flour products (white death as my friend calls them) are developing insulin resistance too, then how exactly are they protected from heart disease? I don't get it. Maybe one of my readers can enlighten me.

Anyway, the study conclusions were confusing to me, but nevertheless it tells us women that cutting out the white stuff is just a good idea all round for our hearts.