THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Beat Diabetes with Low-Carbing!


Bacon Rules!! Seriously, I found this blog that is being written by an ex-vegan of all people called "Bacon is a Super Food", with the emphasis on is. LOL Amusing! She is a good writer. Wish I was - I am so booooring and stuffy, it's just not funny! I know it and I'm sorry, but I really have a lot to learn about writing. I'm more of a practical person that likes to come up with innovative recipes - I like food chemistry even more than actual cooking. I like to invent new recipes, especially dessert-type recipes to satisfy my ridiculous sweet tooth! Does that sound weird?

Bacon Nachos (the photo!) - Melt cheese over crisp fried bacon with salsa, savory taco-seasoned ground beef, guacamole, lettuce, and whatever else comes to mind.

I was on an excellent blog and found this comment under one of the posts and thought I'd like to share it. It made an impression on me and I bet it will on you too. It's good to remind ourselves from time to time that we are on the right track nutrition-wise.

"I was eating two carb meals ever Saturday to satisfy my cravings. After about a month I realized I felt crummy ever Sunday morning. I felt weak, I had my exercise pains back on Sunday and I kina felt like I had the flu. Yes I woke up.

I eat about 40-60 grams of carbs a day spread out evenly over 6 meals. I was once Insulin dependent and on an Insulin pump using 150-200 units a day, still not able to control my blood sugars. Today I use no Insulin and no medications at all. My blood sugars are always normal. I don’t even take aspirin because I feel so good. I am 54 and I feel like I am 35.

Low carb is the way for me now. Beat Diabetes with a low carb lifestyle!"


Wow, what a short and sweet, powerful testimonial for anyone with diabetes reading this!

2 comments:

Jan J. said...

Bacon nachos - what a great idea! I can attest to low-carb effect on diabetes. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with diabetes with sugars in the 500s. I was put on oral meds and did well but when I went on Atkin's induction diet again I could go off the meds and still have good blood sugars. I am struggling again right now to keep carbs down as life is hard, not enough work, and those carbs call my name when I fix my kids meals. But I am gradually doing better at making better choices and weaning off the naughty carbs. With cheaper summer veggies on their way, It will be easier! Meanwhile, there's always bacon LOL!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing that, Jan. I appreciate it.

I understand about life being difficult and carbs being handy. The thing is to make a concerted effort every day to stick with low-carbing and then find ways to make it more interesting. Find some carb-like alternatives that make you feel less deprived. Find time - choose a day when you can make some things to have in the fridge and/or freezer for the week; be it a low-carb treat or low-carb biscuits or crackers and make the quick low-carb toast replacements (even if you use the 1-minute muffin) to help make breakfast more interesting and feel like you're having some naughty carb - but NOT! (wink)

Good for you being so informed. Blessings,
Jennifer