THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Should We Weigh Ourselves? Some Thoughts.


Hmm, that really depends. If you're talking about me. Yes, I do have to weigh at least once a week or at the very least a couple of times a month. I have a tendency to think I look okay, as the pounds are creeping on. Then when I finally get the courage to step on the scale, I usually get a big fright! This has happened to me so many times in my life, I don't care to remember!

I have tried using a belt with notches instead of weighing. That does not work for me, as my waist will not increase in size for quite a while. My lower abdomen will, however, and probably a few other places and a 5 lb gain will not readily be noticed by me. A pair of jeans that you remember wearing at a certain weight is probably a much better indicator of weight, if one is adverse to using a scale.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Jennifer -- everyone is different, but in my case the scale is what really gets me motivated. I know when I'm avoiding it that the news is likely bad. One caveat is that I've been doing the intermittent fast that you introduced me to with a recent post. I'm just loving it! Regarding the scale, I think I'm noticing that the same weight loss I've been through a thousand times feels different this time (looser clothes at a higher weight). Maybe it's something to do with body composition or maybe it's wishful thinking and the power of suggestion. Anyway the scale is a necessary (at least weekly)tool to keep me honest! I just ordered two of your cookbooks and can't wait to get them! Thanks for all of your work -- I love the blog! Sally

Jennifer said...

"I know when I'm avoiding it that the news is likely bad." Exactly, but I tend to avoid it anyway and lie to myself. I have to stop that! It's more painful to wait in the end, and one feels less in control.

Sally, I don't think it is your imagination. You're eating less and your tummy is probably getting a lot flatter. IFing is fabulous, I agree.
I will post another link to IFing soon that you may or may not have read, that is interesting. Even the comments were interesting to the blog post. My best diet buddy is also doing IF and enjoying it. She finds it easy, because she goes to work during the week. So she does lunch and supper.

Thank you so much for your kind words and the encouragement. Sometimes I need that, as I don't have any way of knowing how many people visit and benefit from my work.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence - hope you enjoy the cookbooks. :-) If you want any more, email me anytime, and I'll try and get you a better deal - like throw in a free book.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the offer Jennifer - I know I'll be ordering more of your books after devouring the two that just came. I am, however, pleased to pay full price and support your efforts which are so valuable and are taken on without the main-stream support so many writers enjoy. Thanks for all of your work and for continuing to teach, write and synthesize these important topics! Sally

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Sally. You're the best!