THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Monday, August 17, 2009

3 MINUTE PEANUT BUTTER CHOCO MOON PIE CAKE



3 MINUTE PEANUT BUTTER CHOCO MOON PIE CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING
This one recipe makes 2 half moon slightly dense cakes – one for yourself and one for your hubby, boyfriend or friend to enjoy perhaps with coffee, tea or iced tea, if it is a hot day. I didn’t factor in the carbs for the filling, as you can use as much or as little as you like and sweeten as desired.   By the way, don't feel bad, I've eaten a whole moon pie cake in a sitting!!

1 egg
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp whipping cream (or milk)
1 tsp cocoa (up to 1 tbsp, if desired)
½ tsp baking powder
Sweetener to equal 1/4 cup sugar (60 mL)
½ tsp vanilla extract
Grated unsweetened baker’s chocolate (optional)

Cream Cheese Filling:
Spreadable cream cheese
Liquid sweetener, to taste

Cream Cheese Filling: In food processor or in bowl with softened cream cheese, combine cream cheese and sweetener. Set aside.

3 Minute Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake: In blender, combine egg, peanut butter, whipping cream, cocoa, baking powder, sweetener and vanilla. Blend until well combined. Pour into ungreased cereal bowl. Nuke 1 minute in microwave oven (my oven does not run terribly hot, so depending, you may need a few seconds longer). Allow to cool 30 seconds. Loosen edges with a knife and invert cake over a plate. Allow to cool a little longer until you can comfortably handle it. Use a knife to cut the cake vertically in half and slice a pocket in each (pita pocket-style). Fill with sweetened cream cheese and serve immediately so that the cake is still a bit warm. If desired, sprinkle cakes with grated, unsweetened baker’s chocolate or sweetened chocolate of choice for a deeper chocolate flavor and to make your cake look pretty.

Nutritional Analysis of Cake (without cream cheese filling): 2 servings, 1 serving:

158.5 calories; 6.9 g protein; 12.8 g fat; 3.3 g carbs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is great will make today thanks

Jennifer said...

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

danyelle6974 said...

I did this and here is how I ended up with a "chocolate pudding" version.

2 small eggs instead of one.
Use 2 generous tablespoons of smooth peanut butter OR add a bit of unsalted butter (I tried it either way and the butter seems to make it more "stodgey". I will also try it with coconut oil)
20g of cocoa, not just 1 tsp.
3/4 tsp baking powder
2tbsp heavy cream
vanilla extract - I put in 2 or 3 tsp
For sweetener I used 10 tabs of Splenda dissolved in a tbsp of water and the vanilla extract (I'm in the UK).

Just throw it all in a bowl and beat it (Note if using butter you'll need to soften it first by leaving at room temp or a very quick burst on low power in the micro)

For quickness I cook it in the same large cereal bowl I mix it in. I dissolve the splenda tabs first then add everything else.

In my 750w microwave it needed about 2 mins in a large cereal bowl (those deep ones) - but keep checking it because if you want it gooey you don't want to overdo it.

The center is still soft after it's been in for 1.5 mins or so. I dipped a knife in and spread it around the top of the cooked pudding to help cooking and put it back in the microwave for a few secs. If you don't overcook it some of the mix remains a bit gooey (at the bottom of the bowl when you turn the bowl over on a plate) and it is just like chocolate pudding (and a generously sized one at that!).
Thanks so much for your recipe!

My modification is a great pudding with hot chocolate sauce on or double cream! I will try it with "real" low carb custard too. Brilliant.

I made one this morning for my breakfast instead of muffins or scarmbled eggs. I've been getting a bit egged-out recently and this pudding is an ideal way to get your eggs. (I'm following Atkins with an emphasis on eggs and butter to heal various problems and lose a little weight).

By the way this is a fabulous blog. When I have some time at the weekends I will try some of your other recipes. :-)

danyelle6974 said...

P.S. I left out the cream cheese filling as the idea wasn't doing it for me.
I really like the peanut butter idea and it didn't turn out too peanut butter tasting. Definitely less greasy than when using butter. I'm not crazy about peanuts so I may try it with a combo of almond or hazelnut butter with unsalted butter or coconut oil.
Thanks again.

Jennifer said...

Danyelle, you got quite creative! I'm happy you found the recipe useful and that you were able to tweak it to your own tastes and come up with something so yummy! Nice to "see" you here. Thanks for you kind words and visit often!